Gold Severums

Mrs Frog

I have just had a read round a few sites about Severum. They are said to be mild-mannered and docile in one place and eaters of anything moving in others.

It seems that Sharks go well with them, as a few folk mentioned keeping them with their severums. Plecs seem to be ok in general, as do clown loach and a few of the other larger bottom dwellers.

Have a read yourself and see what other people have experienced.

This is a good starting point as the comments are added by people who keep Severum...

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_severumm.php

The second comment is interesting - seems that poster lost everything except a small catfish! On the whole. comments are quite positive so long as your tank has fish capable of competing with these large fish.

I have had two golden severums - both males. My first one was really gentle and wouldn't eat anything. My second one likes to catch guppies, neons, and I suspect even baby bristlenoses (bit crunchy perhaps?). The second one is smaller, and would hide behind plants to stalk the guppies. I now have in with him some gouramis, clown loaches, albino Corydoras, and bristlenoses - all doing well.

My first severum came with three large tank mates - a large silver dollar, large plec, and a synodonis catfish - the sev seemed to consider the dollar his best mate.

Good luck with yours...

Sam

Hey what I have found funny is this....I have them in with my BIG RedHead Cichlids....I thought because the redheads are a pair and so are the severums that they would keep to themselves. They have caves etc....so my big boy (redhead), he wasn't at all fussed about the new arrivals, my girl, she followed them around for awhile, nothing major. The night went on and they all fed together and seemed just fine (phew), so this afternoon I look into the tank and see male redhead in HIS cave with a severum, girl redhead is not allowed in and the other severum is enjoying lots of space in its own cave lol. Meanwhile the female redhead hangs around wondering what to do with herself lol. Since the new tank mates have moved in my redheads are doing a bit more lip locking than usual too.