More catfish photos

Rob

Most of my fish I get from the LFS, I do make an occasional visit up to Auckland to check out the shops there.

For the more expensive ones my LFS wouldn't normally stock them - but he's quite happy to order them in for me once I know that they're available (so often I'll go in when it's quite and ask him to read off what's currently on the wholesalers lists). Works out well for both of us - he sells fish that he wouldn't normally and I get a good deal because he's got a guaranteed buyer.

The only thing with this system is that you do need to have a good idea of what the different fish look like - as the system would quickly fall apart if I got him to order in stuff and then said 'nah - don't like the look of it'.

For the less common sucker mouth types there seems to be some vague price ranges of $35-60 for common twig cats, whiptails, royal whiptails, small clown plecos, $100-150 for some of the more exotic ones (Brazilian butterflies, larger clown plecos, cheaper gold nuggets) and finally around the $200 mark for rarer exotics or larger specimens. This is all very crude approximates.

For types of cory the most you'd probably see them selling for would be around $50 most likely the Flagtails or C. barbatus if they ever come in again (I've only seen them for sale once and I was a poor student at the time so couldn't afford them).

I've got five of the colombian plecos - no sign of spawning yet - hope they do (not only for getting baby ones but they're lip brooders, which I haven't seen before).

@catfish_dude - alligator cat was around the $70 mark from memory.

@suemack - the camera is a Canon Powershot A80 was in my price range and the good thing for taking fish pics is that it is very small shutter delay (if you start off with the button half pressed - it's zero delay).

Remember that there are more pics at http://fff.corydorasworld.com/gallery/Rob didn't want to link in to all the images. I realise that some of them have got some reflections but I'm still learning with the camera and the pictures of the T-bar cichlids were the only ones I've got so far - I'll replace them once I get better pictures.