Hi All

RobW

Hey guys,

I'm yet another newbie looking at investing in a tank in the near future and have joined up here to learn all i can before i do. I've been doing a lot of looking around in pet stores and don't get too far with the sales people who just end up trying to sell me the $2000 rimu stand set up, don't get me wrong, it sure would be nice but not quite what i'm after yet!!! Thought i'd revert to the internet to learn what i can.

I'd like a tank around 100l and saw one that looked quite good What are your thoughts on tanks that are taller??

Anyways, i look forward to learning from you guys and one day soon finally get my tropical tank that i've wanted since i was a kid.

See ya :)

Hi RobW and welcome. You have come to the right place!

First of all, the bigger the better when it comes to tanks. Larger ones are easier to look after than smaller ones. If something goes wrong, it generally does so more slowly in a larger volume of water so you have more time to realise there is a problem and correct it before anything starts dying.

There is nothing wrong with taller tanks but surface area is more important than water volume so a shorter wider tank is better than a taller, narrow one. Bear in mind the taller ones are also harder to clean as you have to reach further. Sure, you can get all sorts of equpment to help you but it doesn't help as much as being able to reach with your hand.

What sort of fish are you thinking of getting? Some are not suited to taller tanks as they swim quickly and tend to hit the sides in a narrower tank.

Where are you? Is there a fish club nearby? They are always a source of good information and often cheap tanks, plants and/or fish :wink:

Welcome to the pond of fishie people.

Good ta see ya want to learn before you jump in the deep end.

Where are you from, then we may be able to point you in the direction of some locals to also help guide you.

Some of us even have fish, plants, gravel, tanks, oh? Did I mention fish?

Lot cheaper than at LFS's too.

Occasionally they do come in handy tho, the LFS's that is.

Alan

hi Rob :) and welcome

it's better to find out about fish before you jump in the deep end :lol: and yes the bigger the tank the better but you dont have to go and buy the biggest and best that is out there, buying a co2 set up isnt something a shop should be selling you so dont get talked into buying what you dont want or need, i have alot of people come in and say they have this and that and half of the stuff they dont need!

enjoy this site and ask lots of ?'s thats how you learn :) and remember we have all asked these ?'s before

see you round

Long and wide, definitely best. Anything over 2' deep is too deep, imo. Unless it's big enough to swim in...

That's why I think 4'X2'X2' is a great size tank. Right at the limit of depth, but it's only 4' wide so it doesn't take up as much wall space but still has a good size footprint.

Thanks for the tips all. Unsure yet of what sort of fish i'm looking at getting but at this stage, (ie without much research), like the look of a couple of catfish, some tetras, (i hear these are schooling fish so at least six i guess and i especially like the neons!!) and not sure where to from there but with the size of tank i'm looking at getting there probably isn't much room in there for much more, don't want to get too carried away when i'm still learning!!

Does anyone know any good shops around christchurch that are worth a look?? I'm one of these people that spend ages researching stuff before actually doing anything which i guess isn't a bad thing when we're talking about another living thing!! :)

I don't like the look of the fish in critter kingdom personally :(

I'm gonna say organism is all you need......prob closer than redwood, very clean and friendly and both Toby and John know heaps :)

organism is on the corner of Islam and Clyde rd.......it's a green shop next to the fish and chip shop :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Rob :D

First - I got sucked into the $2,000 rimu cabinet job first up (and LOVE it).

Second - I rescued a fellow "fishies" rimu tank when her tank could not withstand the spring in her floorboards (and LOVE that too)

Third - I got a "growing out" tank for my pearl gourami fry which sits in amongst the other tanks on concrete blocks covered in a table cloth (Looks nice but not as nice as the rimu jobs).

The lessons learned? Rimu cabinets/stands are furniture as well as tanks and are very pleasing on the eye...and...BEWARE MTS (Mulitple Tank Syndrome). The three additions to my existing tiny (now hospital) tank took only a few short months!

The LFS choices in Christchurch are by all accounts the best in NZ and we are spoiled for choice - I agree with the list of LFS posted so far (although I do have a preference for Redwood's as it is on my way home and I personally find the staff there more inclined to give me helpful advice than Organism's staff - but it's all down to personality preference I think).

Keep reading and learning, come join us in chat at 9.00pm most nights, and I look forward to hearing of your progress.

BTW - I agree that the taller tanks are way too hard to maintain and despite Caryl and Alan's discussion on dangly bits of anatomy - I find the biggest problem is wet T shirt sleeves right up to the armpits - unless you live in "muscle tops" it just ain't worth the hassle!

:wink:

Hmmmmm, TC, if you find redwood more helpful than the green place than you can't have been there much :o maybe it's the age differance though.....they prob think i'm just looking and aren't really commited :D

I recon organism is better for a beginner though......and have you tried talking to the dudes in the green place?? :P :P

hmmm, I guess i'm based cause i visit twice a week :D

• 3 weeks later...

you guys have all been really helpful, but unfortunately, life has got in the way and a few unexpected large expenses have put all plans on hold for a month or two and with a shift of house coming up in september i have decided i may as well hold off until then. But just because i can't get anything at the moment doesn't mean i haven't been looking. Went to organism today. Was really impressed with how their fish were displayed, just made me curse the money gods all that much more. Back to the topic of fish though.

I have a tank all picked out, glass, rounded edges on front, hood with built in lights and filter, (for the life of me can't remember the size even though i was only there an hour ago!!).

I've got my heart set on tetra's, either neon or cardinal, and a couple of catfish to begin with. Will decide what else i get after 1. i get the tank!! and 2. everything has had time to settle down.

Well that is a quick update on where i'm at and probably been enough reading for you all.

Thanks for your help and i'll keep you posted as things progress and when i finally get setup.

thanks again.

Aqua one, thats the ones. In my language its about yay long and yay wide by yay high, (insert hand gestures here), but as a guess its probably around two foot?? Don't quote me on that i never was that great at judging distance. :)