Tank Repair

arly

Hi Guys

I have a 36x18x18 tank which has a crack in the bottom which is 5 inches long and is sloped. It starts off at 1/4 inch in the coener and slopes up to 1 inch at the highest point and then slopes back down to the side.

My question is:

Can I seal the crack with sealant and then attach another 6mm pane of glass under the existing bottom?

I thought that might be easier than trying to remove the pane of glass as I tried that on another tank and it was not too sucessful unless there is an easy way to remove it.

I was quoted $65 to fix it and I thought that was a bit steep as a complete new tank was $89.

I had quotes of around $25 for a new pane of glass.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Arly

Hi Arly,

If you are going to the expense of buying a new sheet of glass, then the best thing to do is cut the old one free. Provided you clean the old seams up completely of old silicone then you should have no probs.

If the crack is JUST in the base (Seems as though you have one up the side) then replace the glass.

Laying one sheet on top of the other on a BASE glass is pretty dodgy as the pressure along the cracked area could cause the pieces of glass to flex slightly causing extra pressure in one area, which could crack the glass again. You may have gotten away with the back or an end, but personally I recommend you rip the old sheet out and replace it.

At least you'll have peace of mind once it's done, and it's a lot of work if the repair is a failure.

Just a note,

Before you remove the base make up a jig to hold the tank (as in the article on Glass Tanks) so that it won't flex around too much. It's easy to tear the seams if you're not careful, but basically it should only take half an hour or so, and is easy to do.

Regards

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi Again

What is the easiest method to remove the bottom pane of glass please?

On another tank I have tried cutting thru the silicone with a craft knife after removing the excess from the inside of the tank and seem to get nowhere after working on it for quite a while

Thanks in advance

Arly

Hi Arly,

If you can work from the outside you will find it easier.

Find a strong cardboard box around the size of your tank and place the tank upside down over the box.

You can cut through the silicone with a craft knife, but once you have a gap the wavy edged bread knife works well if you smear a bit of cooking oil on it so that it doesn't stick. Concentrate on clearing a small area, then "saw" the rest of it away.

The scrapers that are used for cleaning paint from windows that hold a "Stanley" blade will clean the remaining fine bits of silicone from the good bits of glass. Take care :)

Bill (Pegasus)

If you do use cooking oil, make sure you clean it up very well. The glass edges must but free from all oils and dirt. Any film of oil left anywhere that the silicone goes will mean it won't stick. Even if you can't see it there can be a problem. I wipe the area where the silicone is going to go with spray & wipe then wipe it clear with paper towels. Next wipe the area again with meths and a paer towel. Wipe twice with the meths. The last time you wipe away the meths residue with the paper towel, do it very thoroghly. Now the glass surface is ready. Do not get the spray and wipe or the meths on the original silicone in the remaining joins of the tank. It weakens it.

The main thing you have to remember when removing a glass panel is to be patient. Worked at it, but don't try to jimmy it loose or else you may end up cracking good glass, or even worse cutting yourself. I learnt this from experience and have a nice little scar on my hand for my efforts.lol