Whats the best way to save guppy fry?

IOU1

Hi guys,

What would be the best way of saving as many guppy fry numbers as possible but at the same time not stressing out the parent fish too much. Basically I have spent a small fortune (lets not go there :o ) on rare guppy strains so obviously need a way to save as many young as possible to onsell to you guys later on :P

I'm sure many of you think that breeding traps are the way to go but I have tried these today by putting three females in them, and within minutes two obviously were not happy and jumped out back into the water, almost missing the water and falling to the ground (which means death :( ), so is there another option that they would like more and not risk their lives trying to escape? :-? I was thinking maybe heavily stocked tanks of java moss and floating plants, but would this be very successful? Do the parents actually eat the fry if they are well fed?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would really appreciate any of your thoughts and suggestions to what you would recommend.

Finally, in the tanks I have internal filters that could suck up some young, what sort of material could I cover the inlet gaps with to avoid this as much as possible? (using sponge filters on my smaller tanks but you can't really do this with large tanks)

Any suggestions on this also would be great, as I said the more I save now the sooner I can onsell them to you guys :wink:

Yup.. heaps of moss and plants etc and feed the parents really well, small amounts, but 3 or 4 times a day.

I suggest just keep the parents in a small but normal tank, then pull them out after they spawn.

You may loose a few fry, but if you can save 50% you will still have a million guppys in no time

Cheers

Ian