Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

RedHeaded Cichlid Vieja Synspilus

Featured Replies

Okay I'll try in here , has anyone kept these fish that can give me some good info about them. I have just brought a breeding pair and they are beautiful!!

80y4fbo.jpg

Not the best pic, I'll get better lol, but here are the lovely pair...these fish are huge and pretty, I'm amazed :lol: :D:)

  • Author

yea thanks, i didn't think I had the other post in the right place and now i've got it twice, here and there :oops: :oops:

I had a pair of quite large ones a few years back I fed them a good meaty diet, bred them once ,when I moved them to another tank away from the kids the male tore strips of the female while I was at work and she died shortly after .Months later I was reading a book in the lfs, that had them in it that said they required a good proportion of vegetable matter in their diet .I'd do a good search on the net for them so you don't deprive them of the correct diet ,I couldn't help thinking the male wouln't have been so cranky if he'd have had a little less red meat in his diet .

  • Author
I had a pair of quite large ones a few years back I fed them a good meaty diet, bred them once ,when I moved them to another tank away from the kids the male tore strips of the female while I was at work and she died shortly after .Months later I was reading a book in the lfs, that had them in it that said they required a good proportion of vegetable matter in their diet .I'd do a good search on the net for them so you don't deprive them of the correct diet ,I couldn't help thinking the male wouln't have been so cranky if he'd have had a little less red meat in his diet .

Hi, what is meant by vegetable matter? :oops: Would that be cucumber, lettuce and such or have I got that totally wrong lol. I am finding it hard to get good info that doesn't conflict with what other internet sites are saying.

Vege matter would be spirilina cooked peas or lettuce and cucumber as you suggested :)

A varied diet is good for any fish provided they will actually eat it chuck all sorts in the tank, I don't feed red meat at all because its bad for them but shrimp and stuff is all good :)

  • Author
Vege matter would be spirilina cooked peas or lettuce and cucumber as you suggested :)

A varied diet is good for any fish provided they will actually eat it chuck all sorts in the tank, I don't feed red meat at all because its bad for them but shrimp and stuff is all good :)

Cool :), so I can cook peas and chuck them in the tank and they'll eat them?? hopefully. I say peas first because we have heaps of home grown ones lol. Yeah I'm not too keen on red meat in tanks :-? , so I don't think I'll go there.

If you can be bothered:

canned peas, courgette, shrimp, a little bloodworm and a little bit of garlic extract.

blend up and freeze into little blocks- they will love it.

Hi there I have a very large male his tank mate died from disease sadly but he has taken to a more juvi female i have and I also have another juvi male.. she too has taken to the large male and i watched her lay her eggs the day before.. all doing well.. I feed them on varied diet flake bloodworms mealworms insects and I have feeder fish also...I rarely feed all my fish on red meat only like once a month

  • Author
Hi there I have a very large male his tank mate died from disease sadly but he has taken to a more juvi female i have and I also have another juvi male.. she too has taken to the large male and i watched her lay her eggs the day before.. all doing well.. I feed them on varied diet flake bloodworms mealworms insects and I have feeder fish also...I rarely feed all my fish on red meat only like once a month

Hi Gabe

My two are showing all the signs of spawning behaviour but as yet I haven't seen any eggs. Do they hide them or are they quite open about where they lay them?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.