Do mollies cross breed?

midge

Hi,

I was in the LFS today and saw some really neat mollies. However, I didnt get any as I think I read ages ago that they cross breed with some other type of fish. Is this true? And if they do cross breed is it a problem with the type of fish you end up with? I have guppies, platys and swordtails.

Thanks

Fish like mollies, guppies, leopardfish and platys all belong to the family Poeciliidae. Mollies and guppies are both of the genus Poecilia, whereas the leopardfish is Phalloceros and the platies and swords are Xiphophorus.

Some of the species are capable of interbreeding. The males of this family are well known to try and jump anything that moves - male or female! :-?

Many find keeping mollies separate is better as they are larger and get the food first. They also like a bit of salt in their water (1Tbs per 10L). In fact, if the salinity is slowly increased, mollies are capable of living and breeding in sea water with a density of 1.024 - 1.028, which is the same as the coral sea.

I never found them hardy. In fact, when I kept black mollies they were always getting whitespot. That was years ago and I suspect we didn't have them in the right conditions.

They live in tidal areas so their water goes from fresh to salty with the tides.