Guppy breeding

georgeous

Summertime a tub of water left outside will soon be filled with Mozzie wrigglers. They are great free live food too. If you are in a rural area have a look in the cow troughs, often find daphnia or mozzie wrigglers in them. The may be a bit green this time of year, but the water is safe for cows to drink, so things living in there should be fish safe.

Clean running streams will be full of eels, inaunga and crayfish, so the best live food will already be eaten :roll:

Any size tank should be OK to breed guppys if you want to go that way. But you need the space to rear a couple of months supply to make it worthwhile. So by the time you set up a 100l tank you could have bought a lot of frozen fish food.

Cheers

Ian

I'm betting Caryl's container idea would be better.

With no fish in the containers its less likely (I think) that there would be parasites that would affect your fish (since there are no fish as hosts in the containers!!)

Whereas your stream may have fish in it somehwere.. whcih may have parasites and could possibly infect your fish?

(someone please correct me if I'm wrong :oops: )

Sorry to hijack.. but actually I have a container critter question now that I think of it.

I happen to have a container with only plants in it and its got some bugs growing in it that I don't recognise. I see the mozzie larvae, long with a head and kind of hairy looking .. move by wriggle in a sort of sideways motion...

but there is a bug that was very small and kind of round that propelled itself by what I can only describe as 'somersaulting' .. spins away

Is that daphnia? (this has some plants from a pond I splt up but no fish.. I'm not feeding any live foods but maybe I should?)

FIRST METHOD:

step 1: fill ice cream container with water,

srep 2: put container outside somewhere and forget about it

step 3: come back in week to 2 weeks maybe, and youll have little wriggling mozzie larvae in there

step 4: remove some larvae and feed to angels or what have you

step 5: enjoy the satisfaction of watching angels munch on free food

SECOND METHOD:

find some stagnant water, ie guttering, tarpaulins that have been left out, cow troughs, puddles, ditches, etc etc, and use a net to grab a heap of whatever is living there, almost guarentee that there will be something around your home that holds water and youve forgotten about and the mozzies would have found and started breeding from.

and there is your easy step by step guide to your fishies free food, join us tommorow for tadpoles terrific tea....

lol

I just fill containers outside (old baths, half mussel floats etc) and leave them. They soon attract all sorts of insects. Other people do the same and get nothing. It helps if you live near a waterway (more critters about) or in warmer areas (may still be too cold in some places)