December 14, 200718 yr comment_201270 Hey, I was wondering, what would be the minimum requirments (tank size etc.) to bred guppies as a live food treat to get my angels 'in the mood' Thanks! Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201272 I reckon you'd be better off just feeding bloodworms - guppies aren't all that great for conditioning other fish, and they don't work out that cheap when you factor in all the maintenance etc. Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201274 uhh... how should i go about breeding blood worms or is it still not worth it?? Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201275 The only things that people regularly breed is Whiteworms (you can buy starter cultures), and Daphnia (often found in ponds) for the adults, and baby brine shrimp (hatched from eggs you can buy) for the fry - pretty much everything else works out cheaper to buy frozen. Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201276 At this time of year you ought to have no trouble finding live critters in small ponds etc to feed the fish. Check nobody has sprayed nearby or anything though. Angels get in the mmod anyway with or without live foods. Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201278 live critters in small ponds etc please don't tell me i need to quarintine them for a month before I give them to angels Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201280 Depends on where you live and pollution levels I guess :lol: I fill containers outside then net out all sorts of interesting critters. Fish love 'em Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201281 thanks where i was thinking is just a nearby creek but it runs down off bushy hills will it still be fine?? Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201285 Summertime a tub of water left outside will soon be filled with Mozzie wrigglers. They are great free live food too. If you are in a rural area have a look in the cow troughs, often find daphnia or mozzie wrigglers in them. The may be a bit green this time of year, but the water is safe for cows to drink, so things living in there should be fish safe. Clean running streams will be full of eels, inaunga and crayfish, so the best live food will already be eaten :roll: Any size tank should be OK to breed guppys if you want to go that way. But you need the space to rear a couple of months supply to make it worthwhile. So by the time you set up a 100l tank you could have bought a lot of frozen fish food. Cheers Ian Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201286 I'm betting Caryl's container idea would be better. With no fish in the containers its less likely (I think) that there would be parasites that would affect your fish (since there are no fish as hosts in the containers!!) Whereas your stream may have fish in it somehwere.. whcih may have parasites and could possibly infect your fish? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong :oops: ) Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201289 Sorry to hijack.. but actually I have a container critter question now that I think of it. I happen to have a container with only plants in it and its got some bugs growing in it that I don't recognise. I see the mozzie larvae, long with a head and kind of hairy looking .. move by wriggle in a sort of sideways motion... but there is a bug that was very small and kind of round that propelled itself by what I can only describe as 'somersaulting' .. spins away Is that daphnia? (this has some plants from a pond I splt up but no fish.. I'm not feeding any live foods but maybe I should?) Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201301 hey, back from the creek, found, well, not much but i have a Black-headed jumping spider. does anyone if it is good to feed to my angels (i.e. not poisonous) thanks Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201310 Can a plastic container outside filled with water in the sun, and you will have mossie larvae in no time Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201327 Can a plastic container outside filled with water in the sun, and you will have mossie larvae in no time thanks, and how long is no time??? Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201361 I know that some fish will eat anything that will fit in their mouth...but guppies can be used as a feeder fish for angels, just wondering since I never heard that before???? Caper Report
December 14, 200718 yr comment_201366 Most people discover it by accident, when they buy their first fish. You know, some guppys, some neon tetras and one of those nice gentle angelfish. 6 months later they just have a big fat :evil: angelfish :evil: Cheers Ian Report
December 14, 200718 yr Author comment_201373 yea, well when i got my angels I also got 3 guppies. Yeah im down to one now :roll: Report
December 15, 200718 yr Author comment_201407 Depends on where you live (i still haven't quite figured how to do it yet :-? ). how do you mean?? Im confused :-? ?? Report
December 15, 200718 yr comment_201473 FIRST METHOD: step 1: fill ice cream container with water, srep 2: put container outside somewhere and forget about it step 3: come back in week to 2 weeks maybe, and youll have little wriggling mozzie larvae in there step 4: remove some larvae and feed to angels or what have you step 5: enjoy the satisfaction of watching angels munch on free food SECOND METHOD: find some stagnant water, ie guttering, tarpaulins that have been left out, cow troughs, puddles, ditches, etc etc, and use a net to grab a heap of whatever is living there, almost guarentee that there will be something around your home that holds water and youve forgotten about and the mozzies would have found and started breeding from. and there is your easy step by step guide to your fishies free food, join us tommorow for tadpoles terrific tea.... lol Report
December 15, 200718 yr comment_201495 I just fill containers outside (old baths, half mussel floats etc) and leave them. They soon attract all sorts of insects. Other people do the same and get nothing. It helps if you live near a waterway (more critters about) or in warmer areas (may still be too cold in some places) Report
December 15, 200718 yr comment_201498 CAryl i guse i should try i went 4 a walk the other dya and found a swamp and its not 2 fra away :lol: Report
December 17, 200718 yr Author comment_201825 hey just found a plastic dish of old water. What are the little wriggly things in there?? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.