Tank Failure!!!!! Anyone else out there have it happen?

djsurfs

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have an aqua one curved corner tank that my beardie is in and now im not sure if i should fill it with water and put fish in it(beardie will be in new tank)

last thing i want to do is scoop up fish during the night

hmmmm

if i do ill let you know if i have a leak

ps whats the average life before your tanks poped

Not really certain about all the tanks lives but one of them was only a year old.

that was one that the front section parted from the back.

I think the reason is that the tanks are put together with MINIMUM silicone sealer and that is not always enough as there is no coving in them, and the filler thicknes is almost nil due to the base and the top frames of the tanks.

IMO, I would suggest that anyone who buys one of these tanks should put a coving fillet of silicone in the corners before using the tank.

Better to have a sealed safe tank thanone that is going to give up the ghost "JUST OUTSIDE" the warranty period.

Kong's won't want to talk to anybody that has dealings with me I can assure of you that.

I no longer buy their products for the shop and haven't for about eighteen months.

I dont miss not stocking their products either.

That is why I am importing more items myself.

Why is your dispute with Kongs Lucy? Surely the shop you bought it from should be replacing it, not the importer. Your contract was with the retailer, not the wholesaler.

Rights against a manufacturer or importer

You can sometimes choose a remedy from either the manufacturer of the goods or the trader you bought the goods from. Going to the manufacturer or importer is useful when the trader has gone out of business or is unreasonable to deal with.

You can go to the manufacturer or importer if:

* the goods you buy are not of acceptable quality

* the goods are different from a description given by the manufacturer

* there are no spare parts or repairs available and you were not told this when you bought the goods

* the manufacturer does not provide what is promised in their warranty.

The manufacturer is not liable if the problem is caused by someone else or by a cause independent of human control, such as an earthquake or some other natural disaster.

You can ask the manufacturer or importer to:

* give you some of the money back to make up for the drop in value of the goods caused by the fault. But if you have an express guarantee given by the manufacturer saying they will repair or replace the goods you have to first give them an opportunity to put the matter right

* pay for any damage caused by the goods when they became faulty (consequential loss).

Been there and done that, never going to Rebel Sport ever again

You're better going to the importer if you've had ongoing problems. Your best bet is to sue them for breach of contract; damages will put you in the place you would have been had the breach not have occured - that is, a tank that doesn't leak, replacement of any fish and carpet cleaning. Alternatively you could sue them in tort for negligence; but you won't be guaranteed damages.

Hi there, so sorry to hear about your loss! :(

I don't have any direct experience of Aqua Ones cracking (thankfully – I have 5 off them all running at the mo, from a 126 to 980), but I have heard that the T editions (i.e. the taller models) are prone to cracking (more down pressure, I presume) than the standard editions. Anyone else heard this?

Hi there, so sorry to hear about your loss! :(

I don't have any direct experience of Aqua Ones cracking (thankfully – I have 5 off them all running at the mo, from a 126 to 980), but I have heard that the T editions (i.e. the taller models) are prone to cracking (more down pressure, I presume) than the standard editions. Anyone else heard this?

Yeah I heard this too. I have a AR620 (not the T) and it hasn't broken on me.

They have involved an Independant Case Analysis Consultant and he is advising them that if I go to court on Friday to counter claim $3,800 for costs incurred plus filing fees. They have my broken tanks and are having them examined by Environmental and scientific Research.

They have involved an Independant Case Analysis Consultant and he is advising them that if I go to court on Friday to counter claim $3,800 for costs incurred plus filing fees. They have my broken tanks and are having them examined by Environmental and scientific Research.

A court won't award $3800 in costs for a mediation. If you're the one who has suffered the loss, even if you loose they'd be very unlikely to award any costs to them. I don't understand why you're not going through the consumer guarantees act if you're having all these problems with them.

On the off chance .... maybe someone who has lost a tank (AR620) has a spare cover (silver colour) they could sell .... the piece that contains the filtration unit.

If so I would appreciate if you could PM me .... thanks

regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.

it appears that this thread is long enough, and filled with bad experiences of Aqua One tanks that a thread could be started just to list faults that occur with these tanks.

I am "PERSONALLY" of the opinion that the tanks with bent/rounded corners are an accident waiting to happen.

In my experience over the last three years I have loaned out a 24 x 12 x 12 tank on four occassions (and that's in Nelson) while the broken one was replaced. I repaired those that I could.

And it was not all "620's" that broke.

What does everybody think of the Federation making representations to Kong's (whose name and guarantee is on the tanks), because I feel that it is not doing the hobby any good at all.

And I can see people giving up the hobby due to unexpected flooding of the lounge carpet, and the loss of a lot of fish.