What if.....

breakaway

Here are some questions I came up with:

What if you have a huge tank, and something falls in it, How du u uget it out ? Du u climb in it ?

What if you have "territorial" fish in your tank, if you are trying to clean your tank, wont it attack you ?

I know of certain TROPICL places where discus roam free and corals grow madly, then how come ppl dont import from there and sell in New Zealand to make some big bucks ?

Are bigger tanks bad for begginers taht dont know much about fishkeeping ?

Let's see....:)

What if you have a huge tank, and something falls in it, How du u uget it out ? Du u climb in it ?

Depends how huge is huge? If it's so huge you have to climb in to get it then you either climb in and get it or you leave it.:) Or you use a pole or something, I guess.

What if you have "territorial" fish in your tank, if you are trying to clean your tank, wont it attack you ?

Yeah...But just keep an eye on it. Most fish people are likely to have wouldn't do much more than tickle if they attacked you. Some bigger fish like say a Midas would hurt, and could give you a pretty good scrape though. Maybe if you're stupid enough to have a pirhana you might get really hurt.

I know of certain TROPICL places where discus roam free and corals grow madly, then how come ppl dont import from there and sell in New Zealand to make some big bucks ?

They do collect them from the wild. Importing isn't cheap though. You can't just throw them in a box and put a few stamps on it. Where do you think most of the livestock in NZ comes from? Most are from the wild, except the obvious like goldfish and others. Discus aren't usually collected from the wild because I think they're generally easier to get nicer ones from breeders in asia.

Bigger is better, even for beginners. But, you've also gotta keep a bit realistic about it. Someone who has never had fish would be better off with a 400+ gallon tank, would be more successful than with something like a 50 liter tank. But it'd be stupid to spend the money on that huge and expensive of a tank for a new hobby. May turn out you just don't like it as much as you expected or it's more work than you have time for.

There are members here with six and eight footers.. some over two feet deep, and they manage without a mask and snorkle :)

On very deep tanks you can use a grab for planting and moving things.

Some territorial fish... such as Oscars and other Cichlids will attack, but apart from the shock you get, and possibly a nip or too... they are pretty harmless.

Discus "and" corals come from different areas, so it is unlikely you would find both in the same spot. There is an "allowable list" of the fish allowed into NZ, and only certain persons with the correct autorisation are allowed to import fish.

Bigger tanks are certainly easier to maintain, as a small tank can become overcrowded quickly and the water parameters are harder to keep stable.

The thing is, that you will still need a heater, light, filter etc, and price for price there is very little difference in these items for a two foot, or a four foot. Buying second hand might be the way to go... but buy a "NEW" heater at least.

I see you are in the market for a tank...

Think about the size you want.... then forget it... then think about the size you "need" and your future plans... (community.. breeding..etc).

Major rule... Take your time, both in the purchase of the tank and the stages after that. In other words "do it right" and get things as they should be before adding your fish.

There's heaps of info on here about setting up and the "cycle".. so until you can afford that tank you should take this oppotunity to do so careful reading :)

HTH :)

I always say bigger is better, but don't listen to me cause I always take things to extremes!

Get the biggest tank you can afford $, time and space wise within reason. You won't regret it. Once you're hooked, you'll just get it anyway.

I've got a medium sized tank (2400x820x670mm (1200L)) and it's the best move I ever made. It's very stable and doesn't require all that much work (about 1-2 hours a week).

Amazing..... youd think a tank that size would require more cleaning !
If you keep the right types of fish, and feed only as required, plus get the tank to a "balanced" state, there will be very little cleaning to do.

A tank full of Oscars will be harder to manage than a tank full of gentle community fish... so selection is important if you want to avoid heavy maintainance.

These things take time, but once things are stable, then the larger tanks are certainly easier to manage.

The workers in the tank... (the Corys and Plecos etc) will keep much of the maintainance down, so fish selection is important... not just for looks, but for assisting the running of the tank. :)

I have a couple of big tanks, the eight footer is empty and in the garage awaiting the results of careful planning and landscaping....and a piece of glass for the end. My five footer is 5x3x3, I use a step ladder, pool pump and pool vaccum scrubbing brush to clean, this stops fish from being sucked up and scrubs the tank. Unfortunately due to the nature of oscars its a bare tank. I would like to landscape it but at the moment thats not an option with the tempremental state of one of the filters (fluval of course) and the oscars themselves....thinking clearlite, coarse sand, and spa pool pump and filter here. The cost of setting both of these tanks up properly at the moment is prohibitive and I am waiting the good folks on trademe to stop getting greedy and demanding new prices for pumps.

Here are some questions I came up with:

1. I try to avoid climbing in .. I'm not sure the base glass would withstand concentrated pressure like my foot ... instead I use my opposing thumb, and use tools :)

2. punch them :) .. you think I'm joking don't you ;) ... I have a giant gourami, and a silver arowana, both attack during cleaning, and they get swatted :) ... I have severums that like to chew on my hair when it falls in the tank

3. don't know

4. size matters :lol: