Good sized tropical tank ??

johnd

Hey there, after keeping goldfish for a few years in the past I've been thinking of perhaps getting a tropical set-up.. but i'm not having mucg luck finding supplies in Christchurch.. I would like a decent sized tank.. but the only options seem to be 2 - 3 ft. bundle deals (aquarium one) at around $1000 or very small tanks for $40 - 50.. is there some sort of middle ground ??

Cheers

J.

It's not the tank that costs you very much, it's usually the stand. I'd say the minimum size tank you want to go for is about a 200L. I'm not really sure how much a 200L tank and stand would cost, though. I have seen some 100-150L tanks and stands for around $700, I think.

Hmmm, not very helpful, I guess.

Have you considered second hand? If you choose carefully you can get some really good deals. Even though I can't imagine why, some people suddenly just give up on their fish hobby. If this happens they usually do not care how much they can get for their gear, they just want to free up the space it takes up. I've seen some good sized tanks on really nice stands in the 250-400L range go for between $250-500. They usually come with heaters and filters too. You'll have to be prepared to replace the accessories in fairly short order however just in case they stop working. Its like buying a second hand car, be prepared for a big bill not long after you get it. Over the years I've bought several second hand tanks. Usually a quick sand and coat of paint or varnish on the stand is all it takes to revive it to new condition.

Keep an eye on your local Trade and Exchange (or equivalent) as really good deals pop up regularly.

Hello johnd,

Have you tried The Fish Tank in stanmore road ( now kritter kingdome )

they will make tanks and stands to order for a reasonable price, or as Pegasus says, try the DIY, its not that hard to make tanks, I have made 5 now in the past 3 weeks :D

Hi

I see you have been making tanks - where did you find was the best place to get glass as when I rang around for quotes on a piece of glass the prices varied?

Are you making tanks to sell?

Thanks

Arly

• 2 weeks later...

I've always found demolition yards to be a good source of glass. They often have good sheets of 10mm too. One of our local yards has about 5 sheets of 19mm glass and 8 sheets of 35mm glass. There are various other sheets of thinner glass as well. A lot of it is no good, but it is usually worthwhile visiting regularly, as a good sized suitable sheet pops up from time to time (6-10mm).

Buy Sell & Exchange magazines are always worth a look. In Blenheim we often have tanks turn up in the weekly auction.

When buying 2nd hand, check the glass for scratches and give the silicone a poke. It should be springy. If it isn't, it may mean the tank has been sitting empty for some time, or is old, and the silicone will need replacing.