im thinking about getting killies

cichlid7

For a trio you would want around a 20L tank. they don't need very big tanks, but the smaller the tank the more water changes you need to do. I keep mine in about 25L tanks. Fry i keep in small containers until they are bigger than they go into a bigger tank

Hope you get into them! they are awesome!!! Oh and don't forget to join the NZKA

No thats not how you breed killies. Mop spawners are exactly that. they spawn in a mop of wool and then you either pick the eggs off the wool and putthem into another smaller container, or you leave them in the mop and take the adults out. either way the eggs will hatch in 10-14 days.

The adults won't eat the eggs if you spawn them into a mop, but most killies will eat their own fry.

Peat spawners are a different story.....

EDIT: there ya go, 15L is even fine. they can be kept in quite small tanks.

It really depends on what species your after cichlid7.

A trio of Nothobranchius species will be quite happy living and spawning in a 300x200x200mm tank = 12lt.

A pair (trio of a smaller species like striatum) Aphyosemion's will happy living and breed in a 12lt tank

Fundulopanchax (with the exception of sjoestedti) will breed fine in a 12lt tank but a bit bigger for keeping them, you don't want to stunt your fish from growing to there full size.

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti and Aplocheilus lineatus need a 40-50lt tank (300x600x300mm) as they can grow much larger then the above.

Hope that helps

NZKA Species controller

i am getting very tempted to get the striatum to start with. currently on tm 1m 10f. for $30.

would it work if i put 2 or 3 females in a tank and put the male in 1 then a few days after i see eggs move him to the next tank and so on.

then at a later date get lots of different killis

if i do buy them i feel an even worse case of MTS comming on :bounce:

If i decide to buy some killis which is what i am more than likely going to do how do i go about joining the NZKA

thanks

i am getting very tempted to get the striatum to start with. currently on tm 1m 10f. for $30.

I think that's a real bargin

would it work if i put 2 or 3 females in a tank and put the male in 1 then a few days after i see eggs move him to the next tank and so on.

That will work, but if the fish are feed properly they will produce eggs constantly.

if i do buy them i feel an even worse case of MTS comming on

Sound familiar

If i decide to buy some killis which is what i am more than likely going to do how do i go about joining the NZKA

Talk to the seller of the killies as he is a member or pm Wok

i just told my mum that if i buy 4 auctions i can get free courier so she said that would be good so my parents are going to let me know tomorrow if i can get them or not.

mum says yes BUT dad says no but tomorrow i will keep on asking him and after like 100 times of asking hes sick and tired of hearing me ask so he give in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i will make postage worth while and buy lots now

so i was thinking of

1M-10F - Aphyosemion striatum

1pr - Fundulopanchax nigerianus gold

1pr - Fundulopanchax gardneri albino

1pr - Australe gold

3M-5F - degati

Unless you have heaps of tanks you would be best to start with one species so you can condition the females and then rear the young. If you have multiple spawnings you will need to seperate the young by size or you will end up with a few very large fat fish. It is easier to raise a heap of fry of about the same size.

mum says yes BUT dad says no but tomorrow i will keep on asking him and after like 100 times of asking hes sick and tired of hearing me ask so he give in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wanna swap parents?

mine would have just gotten peeved and kept saying no :cry:

yep.. i have the non jumping strain of killies.

However I can not say the offspring that YOU may have, will not jump. :roll:

Not easy training whiteworms to swim... but then again it is either get eaten or swim for your life :lol: