scoria as extra bio filtration

henward

someone mentioned instead of using ceramic noodles or retail expensive bio balls and eheim stuff, use scoria.

i have never used, in theiry it will be suitable, they are pourous,they sink and lots of surface area.

has anyone tried it?

do they change the colour and PH of the water, hardness and things like that?

a quick search of the site showed a few instances of people using scoria instead of bio balls or noodles etc... the main advice was to wash it really well.

Some brands of noodles aren't that expensive (aqua one) and are purpose made to have a heap of surface area - I guess it depends on how much you want tho!

so i can generally reduce water changes and put a large safety margin when i go away for a month

No amount of extra media will stop nitrates from building up. It will help convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates faster/better/more efficiently, but nitrates need to be removed by water changes.

Altho if you're away for a month and the fish are being fed a whole lot less then there won't be as much waste produced, so it may not be a problem.

plants help break down nitrates though right or is that nitrites?

cos isnt it that plants absorb nitrates?

You're right...

The conversion of ammonia to nitrates is performed primarily by nitrifying bacteria. The first stage of nitrification, the oxidation of ammonia (NH3) is performed by bacteria such as the Nitrosomonas species, which converts ammonia to nitrites (NO2-). Other bacterial species, such as the Nitrobacter, are responsible for the oxidation of the nitrites into nitrates (NO3-)

Plants absorb Nitrates but nitrates also promote algae growth if levels are allowed to drift too high. Keeping the level of nitrogen compounds in the tank low is the key to keeping nitrates under control. Keep waste food to a minimum, change water regularly, don't overstock your tank. Ideal Nitrate levels should be 0, but never any higher than 10 to suppress algae growth. Allowing Nitrate levels to pass approximately 40ppm may harm your fish.

I must now leave on my honeymoon and have been told to stop typing, so good luck with your tank!

Lots of things can be used as biological media. It just needs to be inert and have lots of surface area for the bacteria to live on.

Ceramic filter beads are probably the best, they are made to have zillions of tiny holes that the bacteria can populate.

Other options are plain nylon pot scrubbers, cheap way to fill up empty filter space, lots of surface area and open space for water to circulate.

Filter sponges and nylon wool obviously work as well, as most small filters only contain a sponge that does everything.

Scoria is similar to the ceramic media, just not as much surface area per litre of media. Heck you could use plain gravel, it would be better than nothing, and works in an Undergravel Filter situation. You would just need 10 times as much.

If you want the best, use the ceramic media. But if you have empty space in your filter or sump, then loading it up with scoria is a big (and cheap) improvement on an empty box ;)

Cheers

Ian