water sitting around

Danz

As long as chlorine is the only thing in there.. yes.

Most NZ water is pretty good quality and is only lightly chlorinated, most of that evaporates before it even gets to you.

I generally just top up my tanks with a garden hose set on a fine spray setting, but only do that if you are sure your local water is good quality.

Cheers

Ian

Either ask the local council for their water test results.. or maybe some of the other Nelson forums members that use the same water will be able to advise you.

The main problem is if there is a technical problem at the water treatment plant, like they have to use unfiltered river water in an emergency. Then they chlorinate heavily to make the dirty water 'safe' to drink, and some residue may remain in the water. If it ever smells like a dirty swimming pool coming out of the tap - dont use it in your tank!!

Cheers

Ian

If there is anyone in Nelson that uses the Richmond water supply can they let me know what they do with there water thanks

I think the Richmond water supply was once said to be the worst water supply in the country for chlorine. I used to live there and my tap water was always quite cloudy and bubbly! And that was straight from the tap. I'm not sure what its like now though.

Chlorine reacts with nitrogen compounds in the water to form chloramines. When your eyes burn in a swimming pool it is caused by too much monochloramine rather than too much chlorine. As the chlorine disapates the chloramines move from trichloramine through dichloramine to monochloramine. If this irritates your eyes in a swimming pool what is it doing to your fish? Monochloramine is used in the US to treat water supplies and if it kills bacteria what is it doing to your fish?