Synodontis multipunctatus

rcon021

they are catfish that lay the eggs with the cichlid eggs then they hatch in the cichlids mouth and eat the baby cichlids?

this is exactely right. the catfish drop their own eggs while eating the cichlid eggs. the catfish eggs then hatch inside the cichlids mouth before the fry then eat all the fry that are there. the female then protects the catfish until they are big enough to go it alone.

Hey Rcon

Yep Copadichromis Azureus-

Hope the cuckoos do it mate, but would like to see those azureus have some babies also.

I've had my pair in and out of breeding tank for 2 months, had spawns but female wont last the distance. thought about tumbling but can't be bothered at the moment.

is this true???thats wicked, so let me get this stright!!! the catfish lays the eggs and the cichlid picks them up in her mouth until fry? is it only with certain catfish?

this is exactely right. the catfish drop their own eggs while eating the cichlid eggs. the catfish eggs then hatch inside the cichlids mouth before the fry then eat all the fry that are there. the female then protects the catfish until they are big enough to go it alone. the cichlid scoops them up when there is danger, they do this until the spines that prevent bigger fish from eating the catfish stop them from picking them up.