albino frogs are back !!!

snookie

It is weird how so many turned up in the wild. If my year 12 bio is correct its about survival of the fittest in the wild, where mutated alleles that show up on the phenotype of individuals are either favourable or nonfavourable to the environment and whether this new mutation is better adapted to suit the selection pressures of the environment. Therefore, due to the contrast of the yellow colour to the surrounding natural environemnt, when this albino allele was expressed in the physical makeup, selection pressures should have quickly acted and most if not all of the tadpoles expressing the phenotype should have been removed by natural predatation etc... Therefore, it was real luck to find the 40 or so that he apparantely did, he must have been in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I'm going to be going on a frog hunt these holidays :D Doesn't look like i'm going to be able to afford these ones. They are AWESOME :P

They were wild caught when froglets, i have seen the site and the reeds etc are brown so they would not necessarily be selected against. No older ones seen tho, only froglets. I grabbed the ones ex last year and they are sooo cool. :D

If they were bred they would still give a dedicated frog grower aan excellent little earner even if NZ was the market which I would think not.

Other closer markets would would pay ALOT more than here.

Legal to export aurea to USA from NZ but not from Oz- Ironic- this species threatened in Oz...big $$$$.

Its horrible to think that we could have purchased these a few months ago for $100 :o I remember being interested, but then the bidding went way up before I bought them, the owners got more greedy and really increased the price :cry:

There again, they originally had about 30 or so froglets, sold a couple but now only have three adults, so maybe alot have died while growing up, these ones might be genetically strong :D

hum, interesting.

"nzdragons" is bidding on the frog.

Could "peaceful88" and "butterfly888" be the same person 0.0?

The thickens plottens.

"Last year our son found these frogs, they are albino Golden Bell Frogs. WE have discussed the frogs with DOC and they have no issue with them being sold.

They are a stunning looking animal and alot of fun to watch and feed.

See photos.

No foolish questions please.

These photos are a little older having trouble uploading the latest photos but will do shortly.

These frogs are now between 6-7.5cm big."

"Just discovered by our 9 year old son this rare frog we beleive it is called a 'golden bell'? see for yourself a real beauty. The frog is an albino of this breed of frog and is therefore yellow with beautiful red eyes, the picture cant do them justice.

We have 5 so far winning person can choose from 1 to 5 frogs. Auction is for one frog only.

Pick up only we wont ship these frogs."

Similar wording, i'd hazard a guess that the frogs are infact being bred. I'm also probaly reading into this faaar too much, but never mind :)

One could easily pay 5 grand for 5 frogs and get all the same sex, or get a pair and breed them to find the market flooded with thousands at a cheap price. They would be a bit silly not to have bred them and if they can get a grand each they are not silly. Watch this space, they will eventually be just as good looking but a hell of a lot cheaper.