albino frogs are back !!!

snookie

I think its a bit worthless buying just one. Better to buy all you can and breed them up. (Although of course you could do it the long way and get one, breed it with a regular frog, then breed it back to its offspring until you get enough to sell yourself). In my opinion this person is breeding them himself anyway. No way he found that many albino frogs in a natural state.

do you know the relative chances of enough albino frogs -- even if the entire spawn was albino which would be impossible given that both parents would have to be carrying the right (ie aberrant) genes -- surviving long enough in the wild to be caught by people (or rather just one person)? The tadpoles would stand out a mile (they would be just as albino as the frogs themselves) and then the froglets would be even more obvious to predators. Maybe they did catch them all in the wild, but it just seems unlikely to me. Just my opinion.

an old lady from hamilton had about 40 yellow tadpoles in a bucket she wanted 200 dollars for a few years back, said they came from a pond on their farm,

sold them to someone in te aroha who put them in a small tank in full sun, turned them into pink tadpoles apparently :o

she comes in once a year with her grandkids but has never found any more, don't worry i ask every time i see her

It is weird how so many turned up in the wild. If my year 12 bio is correct its about survival of the fittest in the wild, where mutated alleles that show up on the phenotype of individuals are either favourable or nonfavourable to the environment and whether this new mutation is better adapted to suit the selection pressures of the environment. Therefore, due to the contrast of the yellow colour to the surrounding natural environemnt, when this albino allele was expressed in the physical makeup, selection pressures should have quickly acted and most if not all of the tadpoles expressing the phenotype should have been removed by natural predatation etc... Therefore, it was real luck to find the 40 or so that he apparantely did, he must have been in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I'm going to be going on a frog hunt these holidays :D Doesn't look like i'm going to be able to afford these ones. They are AWESOME :P

albinism is expressed in wild animals rarely, yellow or white makes an easy target

the survival of the genetic trait depends on predators being present, in their natural environment, Australia, frogs have many different predators to contend with but in nz the numbers of predators is reduced dramatically.

a smal;l pond with a locked in population could eventually through inbreedng express sports or mutations in the population, and with frogs spawning so many eggs the numbers of coloured frogs might be large.

there are a large amount of ifs and mights in this eventuality

you could always blame it on genetic damage from sprays etc.

still too much money for a frog

wait a few years and the market will be flooded with people breeding them, prices will come down

albino to albino = albino, spawn 300 tadpoles all albino

3 or 4 people breeding them = possibly 1,200 albino frogs on the nz market per year = 20 to 40 dollars each

you want to see something better?How about a bright sulpur yellow coloured eel?Napier aquarium had a couple years ago,also a piebald one.Really nice looking things they were.Also had some people from dannevirke ring them up as they had found one while cleaning out their drains or dams,someone thought it was a snake so hit it with their spade??yes ,it died a few days later.