Fluval blockage

Caryl

I have a Fluval 404 which keeps blocking every couple of days with the roots from Java fern. I have tried covering the end of the uplift with fine netting but nothing seems to work. I guess I will have to put up with it as long as I have either Java fern, or a tank of large barbs but any suggestions would be welcome - apart from getting rid of them :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Caryl,

I had the same problem. I used the inlet filter off a powerhead to solve the problem.

The type is Powerhead

The Model is 802

Get the filter cartridge that goes underneath the powerhead (you can buy it separately) and fit it to the fluval inlet.

You need to make a small spacer as the Fluval pipe is much too small for the filter outlet.

The fiber filter cartridge will evenually clog up and you have to throw it out (never had any success trying to clean them). Once this is gone, you need to replace it with something else. I use a fine plastic mesh tied over the outside of the filter. Every couple of weeks it needs to be cleaned, but it works really well. It also helps keep the Fluval cleaner for longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Warren I will give it a go. I am not so impressed with this Fluval either. The first couple of times I cleaned it, it was easy but as time has gone on the blue bit you lift up to stop the water flow appears to have worn. It is not so easy to get the inlet and outlet pipes off the base unit without a lot of pulling and wriggling of the part to be removed. Mind you, it is a big improvement on the previous model :grin:

[ This message was edited by: Caryl on 2001-06-17 06:30 ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Caryl

Warrens idea sounds good. But the filter he mentions apparently filters down to 1 micron. Meaning nothing greater than 1 micron will ever get to your Fluval!!!!. You might as well not have a 404 at all. A better solution would be to get a small piece of pantyhose, take it off your body first, and make a little sock over the inlet orifice. (cone cage type). That means all the goodies or badies will get to your filter but nothing greater than the holes of the pantyhose.

John

Thanks for that idea John. What I actually did in the end was get rid of most of the Java. Problem solved :D

It probably helped when I got rid of the large barbs too. They were always nibbling off bits of plant.

The vaseline certainly worked well. The only difficulty I have now is getting the lid back on after a clean then getting the air bubbles out when it has restarted. It burps and coughs and splutters for ages before it free flows again. That isn't a problem though as it eventually runs quietly again after an hour or two.

Hi Caryl

According to instructions one should expose the outlet nozzle to air when one shuts off the fluval to remove the top. (lid). I personally don't do it.

So, once it is ready to be restarted, swit the Fluval on and continually move the primer plunger slowly und and down, watching the bubbles escape then it should be ok. It is not a good idea to let it run noisily for an hour!. The impeller doesn't like it. I had the same problem which, is not a problem anymore. Try it

John

While we are on the subject of fluvals, my 404 makes slight vibrating noise. Its about a year old and the noise got louder up to a point about 6 months ago. I don't think its air because that makes a different noise when it goes through and even when no more air comes out after priming it still makes the vibrating noise. I have cleaned out every nook and cranny of the system (pipes etc included) and it still seems to do it. It is not really loud, just slightly annoying, and I didn't think it was normal. I was wondering whether it could be a defect of the 404. I have been told that the first 404's to come out (the ones before the MSF series) had problems with the impellor cover shrinking of something like that. Do you think this couls be due to that or can you think of another reason why it would do this?

The impeller would be my guess. Is it still under warranty? Or close to it? I would take it to the outlet you purchased it from and ask. Remember if you are polite about it they will be more likely to try and help you :D

yes it is under warranty, just. The 1yr warranty runs out on the 8th of August 02. I think I may enquire about it. When I put my hand on top of the filter I can feel quite a vibration. Feels Almost like the impellor is hitting the sides of the motor unit housing. It gives off a low frequency humm that can be heard in the next room if all is reasonably quiet.

Anyone else had this problem? or is this what Fluvals are supposed to do? I have heard that they are supposed to be almost silent in operation. My Via aqua canister, that has the same rating as the fluval 404, can only be heard if you put your ear right next to it. I thought the Fluval should emit a similar noise level to this or even less since they are about 50% more expensive than the Via aqua's.

What are other's experiences?

My Fluval is very quiet. It sits in a cupboard beside the tank so I can't hear it at all. If the cupboard door is open though you can just make out a quiet hum if there is no other noise in the background.

Get it back to the retailer fast!

Mine started doing that too, Midas. Got quite loud. I tried a new impeller and impeller shaft, it helped a bit, not much. I eventually bought a new 404 and put the old noisy one on a tank that it didn't matter how noisy it was and the new one on the tank in the dining room. The brand new one started out pretty noisy too but has quieted down. I guess it needed broken in a bit, but the old one has quieted too.

Fluval also have surface skimmers available; It has an adjustable flow valve which allows a majority of the water to enter from the surface thus increasing oxegenation of the water as well as drawing a small portion throught the base of the unit. This surface skimmer attachment replaces the origional intake tube completely and is relativley compact.

Blockages would be stopped because only floating debris can be drawn towards the intake from the surface, therefore roots etc. would not get tangled up in it. The intake is protected from blockage by a comb thingy so that leaves and fish can't get sucked in.

This unit also fits most other canister filters and is available in two sizes.

Its not near any air sources.

After taking it back to the shop and giving them a demo I managed to convince the guy (Eric from Wet Pets) that there was definitely something wrong with it. Especially since it was only doing about 300-400 l/hr (when its supossed to do 1300 l/hr). I have been advised to take it back tommorrow when the sales rep is there and hopefully if I bleat hard enough he will give me a new 404 msf head unit for it. That should solve the problem. Eric said that they have replaced a few head units of the first fluvals that came out with the square design (the ones before the msf series) so hopefully I will get mine replaced too.

I'll let u know how it goes.

If you have any bags or charcoal or anything like that, try taking them out. I had 4 bags in my fluval and took them out because the bags were disintegrating, AMAZING difference. Before it was pumping enough out of the spraybar to make a bit of a current and trickling sound. Now it's pumping out enough that when the fish swim under the spray bar they have to start swimming upwards to stay off the bottom, are swimming in a blizzard of bubbles and it's making hissing/wooshing sound. Probably pumping twice the water just from removing the bags.

Mine are around the other way - I have 3 levels of Siporax (ceramic round things) and only one of filter wool. The filter wool will clog quickly with all the fine stuff going through so may be slowing it down.

I have never actually measured the flow rate on my filter but am aware you never get the rates promised in the advertising :D

When I first clean my filter out the water flow is so strong it splashes against the glass lid but this only lasts about a day then it drops again to a slower flow. As time goes by the flow gets slower as the media trap the muck. When it gets so slow I can't see the force of the water as it comes out the return thingy, I clean the filter.

Probably the biggest restriction would be the sponges and any filter wool, especially as they get clogged. The ceramic media I don't think is much of a restriction even when it's full of muck, there's still heaps of open spaces for water to flow through. Midas, I might suggest trying what Caryl's done, only one tray full of filter wool and the rest with media. I don't actually have any filter wool in mine, just media and the sponges.

How have you been measuring the flow? Just pull off the outlet hose and point it into a bucket for a minute then measure how much came out? Hmmm, I might try that, grab a measuring cup to measure the water volume...

I don't really notice any decrease in flow from when I have new filter wool to old dirty stuff. I exchange the bottom tray of filter wool every 2 weeks with new stuff and rinse the filter wool in the other two (which are normally pretty clean anyway). Then I cycle the three trays with filter wool around so that the fresh filter floss is in the 3rd spot (the noodles stay on top). Perhaps it would be better to have another tray of noodles since hardly any particulate matter seems to get past the 2nd tray of filter wool anyway. Might try that.

I was measuring the flow the same as you sound like you have been doing so that it has the same head as when on the tank.