Pond Algae

Clintrockevans

Hi,

I have a real problem with Pond algae its like that stringy stuff? I have used that liquid Barley Stuff and also Florish excel to try and get rid of it, it just wont go away. Does anyone have any ideas? Its a 5000 litre pond and I have a Biological filter and pump with a 20w UV lamp going 24/7 as well. HELPPPPPP

The barley straw exract I believe works slowly to inhibit it.. not suree it will kill it outright.

The internet always says manually remove as much as possible. I use something called Pond Balance when I have trouble but I'm working with 1100L only.. 5000 is heaps!

It's commonly referred to as blanket weed and there was a recent thread about it.

An algae killer will kill it but it's a bit of a catch22...if you kill it.. it then lies on the bottom decomposing which steal alot of oxygen from your water but also makes more nutrients for a new crop of algae to bloom.

If you do decide to use an algaecide I had a professional tell me use uses AlgaeFix... for ponds. It's quite dear though.

Is your pond well planted? Have you got many fish? How well established is it? Does it get alot of rotting vegetation?

The key is to address the cause.. which is excess nutrients. It make take a couple seasons to go away so don't get too discouraged in the meantime!

I too wonder how deep or how well planted the pond is. Blanket weed usually loves slower moving water so I would have thought if you have it well planted and with water movement the algae wouldn't get hold.

I also understood barley straw was for clearing green water, it doesn't work on blanket weed.

If the weed is that bad it is indicating an imbalance of some sort. Am surprised since you have both a filter and a UV.

I have a 6,500L pond and have just turned on the filter a few days ago (had a leak in the waterfall). My pond has been running 12 months now and so far no sign of alage like that (fingers crossed).

I think the UV filters don't work on blanket weed either! Be glad you haven't had to deal with it.. its just indescribably ugly!!

I think its likes calcium....and a high pH. Fingers crossed that we haven't seen it come back in the pond at the rental yet! This would be the first time in 2 years. We would have expected it to rear it's ugly head by now!

The pond balance was recommended by 'The Water Garden' here in chch. We used a whole bottle of Algaefix at repeated doses (as per instructions) in combination with a desludger to help breakdown the dead algae and it still kept coming back.. if I recall we even did a big vacuum of the bottom to no avail!