What fish anaesthetics are available? - Finquel?

djsurfs

Has anyone seen Finquel (MS-222) in NZ? Or know of a good equivalent?

http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

"FINQUEL

FINQUEL is intended for the temporary immobilization of fish, amphibians, and other aquatic, cold-blooded animals. It has long been recognized as a valuable tool for the proper handling of these animals during manual spawning (fish stripping), weighing, measuring, marking, surgical operations, transport, photography, and research."

yes, I already have clove oil. Easily found at health shops. It does the job, but I was hoping to find something even better alternative as I think it causes a bit of stress... Have you ever tested it on yourself? LOL :D I did! it kinda burns like chilis, before the numbing effect takes on! OK, my lips were maybe already a little chapped/sunburnt, but holy *%$! it burned!

I have no desire to catch fish, but will have to research the 'QUINALDINE'...

Cheers!

Hi All

Aqui-S (excuse the spelling) is what they use to "KILL" fish:...................

Remember the ZEBRA DANIO DEBARCLE.

They used it to destroy them.

Quinaldine is a tranquilizer and is sprayed at the fish in the sea and they "Just Stop" on the spot.

you can then hold out your hand and grab them.

It lasts for about two / three hours and doesn't affect the fish.

:bow:

Hi All

Alan is correct. :roll:

Quinine is a good drug: I recommend you to use it in it's "SULPHATE" form as opposed to "HYDROCHLORIDE" as it reacts faster and is more stable and user friendly when it comes to dosage.

"QUINALDINE" is an anaesthetic and is not aligned to "QUININE" and is akin to Zylocaine and Lignocaine in it's actions except it slows the response to movement.

It is a muscle relaxant.. I would venture to say it is about the same as "DIAZEPAN" from memory. (And thats pretty Bad these days) :oops:

AMAZONIAN wrote:

Hi All

Aqui-S (excuse the spelling) is what they use to "KILL" fish:...................

Remember the ZEBRA DANIO DEBARCLE.

They used it to destroy them.

Only if a high dose is used, it was developed as a anaesthetic.

Yes, Aqui-S is used in NZ as an anaesthetic. For example, it is used by people studying fish physiology. It puts the fish to sleep so they are easier to handle, and the fish then fully recover. The people using must be confident that it doesn't effect the health of the fish, or they couldn't use it.

The best bet for reliable, easy to use, and safe sedative for marine tanks is AQ10. It's available from Aqui-S, just call 04 587 0380.

Be careful using unregistered products; Finquel is the only other choice really. If you have no experience with Quinaldine it'd be best to avoid it, as it takes some practice to get the right dose for small volumes of water.

Most importantly, sedatives have different effects on different species, and don't take comfort from tests done on 8g Sea Bass fry.

• 2 weeks later...