Fire Bellied Newt Help

fishandchips

Hey everyone out ther in fishy land.

I have had two fire bellied newts for just over two years and they do not seem to have grown at all. They are housed in a tank by themselves with 2/3rds water and 1/3rd land. I never see them in the water and they seem very lethargic. They are feed on fruit flies and aphids when I can find them.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with newts that could help me, suggest what could be done (if i have a problem that is).

Any help would be great

plenty of arguament on newts on google

but, i found in my personal experience, yes they grow very very slow. feeding whiteworms speeds up growth, high in fat and protein, you really see their belly fatten up., when about 4 cms long you cna feed waxmoth, they grow quick then, but they are very and extremely slow growing.

japanese and chinese is a factor, oine of the grow bigger and faster, the other smaller and slowly.

some say putting all water and just some plants sticking out speeds up growth, putting them onland seems to make them lazy in my experience

Hey everyone out ther in fishy land.

I have had two fire bellied newts for just over two years and they do not seem to have grown at all. They are housed in a tank by themselves with 2/3rds water and 1/3rd land. I never see them in the water and they seem very lethargic. They are feed on fruit flies and aphids when I can find them.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with newts that could help me, suggest what could be done (if i have a problem that is).

Any help would be great

Newt life cycle is tadpole, then terrestrial, then aquatic. Your's are stuck in terrestrial. You need to cool them down to 12-15C and not feed. They will change to aquatic. Mine are 7 months old and are 80mm long. They grow fast if you keep them right. Theay are Japanese so you need to mimic natural conditions. Most people keep them indoors all the time which cocks it up. Chinese are similar buyt are smaller and have better colours.

I am going to lower the temp if i can, it has been pretty hot down here recently and then will stop feeding, How long should i stop feeding for?

if you put the food in the water, only the aquatic phase ones will eat and the terrestrial will follow. do not feed floating food, only sinking. they will be forced to change- just like nature.

So i would like to thank everyone for there suggestions :D

I have sorted there tank out and now am feeding in the water. They have taken to the water like ducks (hahahaha).

I have been trying different foods, have stopped with the fruit flys cos they always seem to have wings and not wingless like they say on the pottle. I have been getting lots of little insects from my pond which they seem to love. i put about 20 small back strokers in the tank first up a couple of days ago and now there are only two big ones left.

It is so cool seeing them in the water as you can now see ther bellies which is awesome.

Off to catch more back strokers when i get home.

Cheers everyone