November 21, 200718 yr comment_196249 livingart I dont understand do you have a large female snake neck that you want to sell? Report
November 21, 200718 yr comment_196250 just talked to your mate scott on phone as i explained to him i can supply mate for your res but a breeding age female snakeneck is a different proposition she can lay up to 20 eggs in a season, babies at 70 each makes her a valuable animal can probably supply an adult male though Report
November 21, 200718 yr comment_196276 If you are "Selling".... then please take it to the Trading areas. The Topic is Border Security... Thanks, Mod Bill. Report
November 21, 200718 yr comment_196288 shingle backs in N.Z http://www.reptiles-nz.net/index.html Report
November 21, 200718 yr comment_196290 good to see kims got her web page back up did u guys see this bit Despite MAFs attempts to eliminate the Green Iguana by slaughtering several in their usual show of needless brutality......I am very pleased to say Iguanas are still being bred, in large numbers, here in New Zealand Report
December 3, 200718 yr comment_198939 if you want any proof that reptiles are being smuggled into NZ you only need to look at the list of species on that site. I mean seriously, frilled lizards?! Report
December 3, 200718 yr comment_199065 Frillies have actually been here a long time. I remember seeing some about 15 years ago in a private collection. On that note Ive also seen Ridge tailed monitors and storrs. I wasnt into reptiles at the time so didnt think much of it. Because of this reason I dont think its fair for you to use this as an example of current smuggling. Accussations such as this should not be thrown around, based on what you believe to be in the country. Most of the people who own these, whilst never being involved in smuggling, quite wisely keep it very quiet. I have no doubt that smuggling has gone on, but a large number of these animals have been in the country for many many years now. As I have said previously though, I would only ever consider buying an animal that I knew had been bred here. As far as the ones on kims page goes, I think maybe she is just fishing i.e. seeing what response she gets. Although after that whole iguana fiasco who knows? Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199076 i've also seen frills, matamatas and monitors over 20 yrs ago Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199110 careful pogona,you are likely to get a fence picket stuck where it will hurt shortly? Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199133 i've also seen frills, matamatas and monitors over 20 yrs ago I LOVE matamatas!!!! Have to agree with Pogona1 on only buying NZ-captive-bred reptiles, but would add to it that I would also only buy from a reputable breeder. Its buyer beware and if you get your lizards from someone dodgy then you've only got yourself to blame (eg the whole iguana thing). Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199150 Were the original Blue tongues , Beardies , Water dragons , Snake neck turtles ,Reves etc... Legally imported or smuggled ??? Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199156 several decades ago Australia banned all exports of its native wildlife (except to zoos etc). Before that time a number of species were being brought into NZ legally. Since then all that have been brought in are smuggled ones. Many of the original species were bred well (bluetongues etc) and they form the bulk of the reptile species in NZ now, although they are still smuggled in because the fact that they are already here makes it very easy to "launder" them (claim they were bred in NZ) Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199157 until not too many years ago it was quite legal for anyone to import turtles so long as a few regulations were adhered to, namely they could only be imported from specific countries (I think the UK and Japan in particular), and then the usual quarantine procedures of testing for disease before and after import while being held in quarantine at either end of their trip. Relatively few permits were applied for each year though. I imagine the laws on turtles have changed completely now. Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199161 well that's just some pretty basic info, there's a lot more to the reptile situation in NZ than that but it would result in a flame war Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199175 I was involved with the Iguanas and Monitors in the debacle at the end of last year... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.c ... d=10415142 It was a bit sad to see them go, they were fantastic reptiles... but as illegally imported animals their fate rested in the hands of MAF Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199196 Quote repto "careful pogona,you are likely to get a fence picket stuck where it will hurt shortly?" Sorry I dont understand. I dont mean to offend anyone, just stating my opinion. The problem we have here is that no-one really knows where any of the animals came from, and the laws dont make it any clearer. Hence my stance - only buy what you can prove has been bred here, and I agree with coelacanth in going with a reputable dealer. I must confess that I only keep beardies and bluetongues, but if something good came up the fit with the above then I would be tempted. As for my statements about Kim, maybe I am being unfair in that I did not buy any iguanas and have never dealt with her. I do however know people who were burnt by the whole affair. This story gets to me because this was someone posing as a reputable dealer, claiming that these were bred from a pair in NZ. DNA tests proved otherwise. If I am offending you with my statements about Kim, I am happy to hear the other side (esp. if what I have heard is wrong). So far there has been no explanations, except for a statement blaming MAF for doing their job. Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199209 all it means is you are sitting on the fence.And if you think you can let the "been here for many many years" bit past?Could be construed as hypocritical as a reptile keeper myself,but I know full well probably something in the order of 95% of lizards in nz in private collections over the age of ten years would have been smuggled.I have had reptiles in one way or another for 40yrs or so and the only ones that will pass the longevity test with any degree of belief are a handful of tortoises that can be documented.legal importation of these was stopped in the late 60`s early 70`s.Back in those times very little was knowen or practised even overseas in the way of captive breeding of much at all. Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199212 if the iguanas were smuggled and monitors taken off people, why has no one been prosecuted for this, only the animals destroyed.? Animals that can't survive for long without a heated environment. iguanas were declared a new organism in nz almost 2 years after they were offered for sale on trademe, a public site, articles in newspapers quoting government department officials saying that these animals were legal in nz led many people to believe they were legal in nz biosecurity were unable to locate any importation documents for iguana into nz, then by accident found the marineland permit attached to the back of the original marineland zoological permit. what other permits might have been issued in the early days and been destroyed or lost in my mind biosecurity did their job within the confines of the law and did it fairly. it was a pity that people lost money and pets on this whole exercise and the animals were destroyed to prove a point to future smugglers like others you show me the documentation and i will buy it, until then the barge pole stays firmly in my hand Report
December 4, 200718 yr comment_199219 so know one wants to buy a Komodo Dragon then ?? :lol: got the paperwork i'll take a pair swap for jardini :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.