Bristlenoses with goldfish

fievels007

I had two of my bristlenoses in with the two goldfish at school, then a few days ago my medium sized female (I think) just upended it. Nothing looked too out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened and if I should bring my other big bristlenose home to our tropical tank? Don't wanna loose him!

By "just upended itself" do you mean it died? If so, there could be any number of reasons. BNs are tropical and goldfish are cold. If the tank is unheated a temp drop overnight would have done it. The female may have been more susceptible due to having just laid eggs, being about to lay eggs, thinking about laying eggs etc etc etc.

I have got a thermometer in the tank, it is set to 22. Maybe I should get some more things in the tank for the bristlenose to hide in/under. Currently there is just some lame yellow ceramic boot. Maybe she died of fright from too many kids eyes looking in. Was a shame.

Had to tell the kids I'd taken her home... guilt!

What are you feeding the Bristlenose?

They need a bit more vege in their diet than most fish and it's recommended that you have bogwood in the tank. They graze on this and the lignin / fibre they get from it helps their digestion too. Too much high protien food is very bad for them.

Apart from that there is no real reason you cant keep them with goldfish with the tank around that temp.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=49

Cheers

Ian