Whitebait in a pond

I_am_Elmo

It depends on the species and the conditions in the pond. I would go for highly unlikely to spawn, and even more unlikely to survive.

Koaro and kokopu are capable of forming landlocked populations in the wild, so those ones don't specifically need a marine stage (though given the option they take it).

Breeding and hatching is triggered by floodwaters in autumn. Quite an interesting cycle really.l

I understand Charles Mitchell has captive breeding stock for his whitebait farm, but I don't know if they spawn in a natural waterway (but partitioned so they can't escape) or artificial (giant tanks) environment. If it was easy to do he would make megabucks and he has been researching it for years...

Sorry!

However they all make good pond fish, providing the water is cool enough and they can't jump or climb out. Yes, climb.

They are all galaxiids ("ga-lax-id"). There are some 50-ish species in the world, 26-ish in NZ, most of which are not found elsewhere.

Whitebait are the juveniles of five species, in order of commonality-

inanga (G. maculatus) (by far the most common, 90%ish)

koaro (G. brevipinnis)

banded kokopu (G. fasciatus)

giant kokopu (G. argenteus)

shortjaw kokopu (G. postvectus)

All the other species are found in the south island and often have fairly geographically restricted habitats. Those ones don't have a marine stage, they do have juveniles similar to whitebait, just they stay in the rivers.

Oh, and the six native mudfish (Neochanna) are part of the Galaxidae family.

It is far too early in the morning for this much geekery....! Must go find something peasant-like to do.... anyone got a Woman's Day?