Insurance for rental property?

editkid

Very good question, no matter what anyone here says though you're going to have to confirm it with your insurer. Doing this also means they can't backout later on as it's on record as being ok'd.

I'm pretty sure you're covered as it is an accident. You're definately not covered though if the tank has a slow leak and you ignore it though.

I've spilled a few hundred litres before too :roll: cleaning up is a b&*&h especially when it's 3AM. Never any $$ damage though.

Are you worried about the tank.. or the damage it might cause to the house?

Your insurance company should cover the tank if it's accidentally damaged, but I dont think they will cover fish (or any animals in general).

Any damage to the house should be covered by the landlords insurance, same as damage from a busted water pipe or if your X-Box sets fire to the lounge. You might be out some of your Bond money, but your contents insurance doesnt cover the house itself.

But check with your agent to confirm what is in the actual fine print of your contract.

Cheers

Ian

Any damage to the house should be covered by the landlords insurance, same as damage from a busted water pipe or if your X-Box sets fire to the lounge. You might be out some of your Bond money, but your contents insurance doesnt cover the house itself.

The landlords insurance company will then come after you as it was your fault the landlords property was damaged. That is why you need to have contents insurance which will usually get you a couple of million in liability insurance as well.

We've just had a major leak at the house we rent out. not fish related though. The insurance company has said that because it wasn't caused by an accident (the pipe let go), just like a tank lets go, it is not covered by insurance as its classed as wear and tear and that is not covered. The wet carpet would normally be covered under the owners contents insurance not the tenants. Definately check but your landlords should have house and contents insurance and should tell the insurance company that it is rented out.

Just as most said.

Check your insurance agent.

I have all my tanks added to the policy, and it covers the tank and any other damages resulting in the tank breaking (carpets, walls, electronics under the tank etc)

doesn't cost me any extra in premiums either. but it is written in my policy.

When our tank cracked and flooded the place we thought we were covered as we had specifically asked if the tank was included. They said they would pay for the tank but not the damage as they only paid for water damage if it was caused by the 'normal' water supply - eg burst pipe, hot water cylinder etc. We tried to explain that, as we had 18 tanks at the time, aquarium water was 'normal' but they wouldn't buy it :lol:

They did pay out after telling us to get the most expensive quote we could for the tank. Didn't cover the cost of lifting, drying, and relaying the carpet but went a long way towards it.

When our tank cracked and flooded the place we thought we were covered as we had specifically asked if the tank was included. They said they would pay for the tank but not the damage as they only paid for water damage if it was caused by the 'normal' water supply - eg burst pipe, hot water cylinder etc. We tried to explain that, as we had 18 tanks at the time, aquarium water was 'normal' but they wouldn't buy it :lol:

They did pay out after telling us to get the most expensive quote we could for the tank. Didn't cover the cost of lifting, drying, and relaying the carpet but went a long way towards it.

your with the wrong insurance co then!!!!

i know its somthing that state covers!