New pond requirements.

Dixon1990

I have a 200L half barrel (bigger than the usual wine barrel halves)

I have heaps of plants and a couple of fish. No filter. The nitrates go down to zero (and I had some cyanobacteria I think but not too bad) but since I don't have a filter I do regular water changes during the summer. Since it doesn't get aerated by a filter, I have it in a shady spot so it doesn't get too hot so the oxygen levels don't drop too low.

I wouldn't have more than 3 in only 80L though without a filter. I only had 4 in my 200L, they like some room to swim.

I have had large, medium and small ponds with goldfish wcmm, livebearers and killies, with and without plant (not all in the same pond). It works very well with no filters or pumps. The oxygen level will improve with good surface area. Down here, in the real world, it pays to have an area of reasonable depth that wont freeze in the winter. I have a friend with wcmm I gave him to keep down the mossies that has 2 x half barrels and a smaller pond very heavily planted with lillies (leaves all over the surface) and the white clouds are happy and breeding like mad at the moment. Ignore the pet shops, they just want to sell you stuff.

I agree with what alanmin has said (and others). You don't need that stuff. I would not put 4 comets in 80L though. Not big enough. Comets grow big and like lots of swimming room as they are fast. Get veil or fantails, or something that is slower.