Some of my Africans

Caryl

Got my new digital camera so here are a few of my Mbuna. Not sure which is which (apart from the L. caeruleus and I also have some J. marlieri). They have to be either...

Copadichromis borleyi

Stigmatochromis modestus

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi

but I have no idea which is which :cry:

blue_and_yellow_fish2.jpg

blue_fish.jpg

Blue_and_gold_striped_fish.jpg

Labidochromis_caeruleus.jpg

PS: Never had a camera before either so am still learning. I can turn it on, auto focus and take a picture but there are lots of other buttons I have no idea what they are for yet :oops:

Camera is a Sony DSC-F828 with 8.0 megapixels & 7x optical zoom.

Caryl, did a bit of surfing and came up with this.

They are in order of the fish in your post.

I stand to be corrected, so don't go crook anyone if I'm wrong.

But I don't think I am.

The last one is correct. lol

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi

Copadichromis borleyi

Stigmatochromis modestus

Labidichromus caeruleus

Alan

Catbrat check a couple of replies above your question and you will see what the camera model is.

Alan thanks for your thoughts. I will email Carey, the breeder, to double check. Not that I am doubting you of course :lol:

Caryl I don't want to nitpik but the first 3 fish are 'haps' the electric yellow is the only mbuna. For a new camera fantastic photo's

Have not seen any Copadichromis or Stigmatochromis in the Bay of Plenty area. : :D

Not according to the breeder Cliff. Will be interesting to see what he says. :D

What exactly is an Mbuna then? I thought it referred to all African cichlids. I asked for Lake Malawi species specifically (and I know J marlieri isn't one but I really like them).

Great pictures Caryl - now that I'm working a digital camera is on the wish list (along with more mundane things like a new washing machine and a fridge/freezer)

From what I've read (about Malawi cichlids) Mbuna are the cichlids that keep close to the rocks and mainly graze on the algae on the rocks. The other group of cichlids are commonly called Utaka - they're more the open water swimmers - the peacocks (of assorted genera - Copadichromis, Auloncara, Haplochromis?) belong to this group and are more carnivorous.

None of the pictures posted look like a C. borleyi - females are commonly silver with yellow fins (at least the ones I've seen in NZ - other colour forms has the female a brownish colour with 2 or 3 darks spots along her body), males have metallic blue head, with blue running into the dorsal fin and rusty orange body with some blue spangles. Also I'd expect it to be deeper in the body. Does depend on size though - the second to last picture could be a young male C.borleyi changing to adult colouring :roll: .

That second picture down looks more like an Electric blue hap (Sciaenochromis ahli)

Yip Caryl that's C. borleyi - a female (or a juvenile - as they all start off with female colouring).

Having another look at the second to last picture - I don't think it is a borleyi changing colour - it still doesn't have the depth in the body like my ones do - even the young ones I've got show a deep body.

OK, I have heard back from the breeder. The 1st and 3rd pics are Aulonocara jacobfreibergi. The blue one is Sciaenochromis ahli, commonly called Electric blue hap and the Copadichromis borleyi is named correctly :D

Rob you are right about Mbuna so I am sorry Cliff for calling all my fish Mbuna when they aren't. :roll: We learn something every day :D

• 3 weeks later...