ammonia prob wont go away

stargazer

still have a problem, am doing 30% water change daily. after a couple hours ammonia up to 2 ppm. I cleaned the gravel, pulled out driftwood cleaned under that, found some decaying food there, also took apart filter, found a chunk of food there also. also added chemical that changes ammonia to ammoniam. anything else i can do. It's a 30 gal tank.

This is the tank that had the filter off for a day+ isn't it?

It's going to have to cycle again. :(

Cleaning out the rubbish in the tank will help.

The ammonia treatment will help.

Extra water changes will help.

Feeding less untill the filter starts working again will help.

Moving some fish to another healthy tank will help.

Between all those things you should be able to save the situation :)

Cheers

Ian

Ammonium shows up on ammonia tests.

Using products like 'Ammo-Lock' etc to convert ammonia to harmless ammonium means the bacteria have nothing/less to eat, so they don't develop, so the tank doesn't cycle quite right if at all.

Depending on your fish load and their value alters my recommendations, but I'd be looking towards removing the ammonia remover/locker and letting the tanks filter cycle (bacteria to grow).

Ammonia can be converted to ammonium or in the free ammonia state it can be driven off with aeration like chlorine. It is about concentrations and balance. I find most tanks turn acid as time goes on. There is a lot of chemistry going on in a fish tank and the reactions are all inter related and not straight foreward.

Forget all the chemicals. You need to add back the bacteria you've killed off. Clean the tank (done?), do a water change, and add bacteria (cycle / filterstart, etc.), wait. Once you can measure nitrite and nitrate you are on your way. Once you can measure ONLY NITRATE, you are ready to go.