Attack of the killer GOURAMI

editkid

:(

Just introduced 3 new Gourami into my tank, after there had been 2 Gourami already in there. One of the older and bigger ones is now relentlessly chasing all 3 new fish. To the point where I have been trying to catch the big one to send him swimming down the pipes!

What can I do? I don't think these little ones will last more than a few days with that big bully biting them...

What are the new gourami that you have introduced?? I have never had a problem with any gourami hassling others.

Do you have alot of plant cover, places for them to hide?

you mention that your tank is a 100litre - what are the dimensions?

and if the problems can't be sorted - don't send the fish down the drain - pm me and lets see if we can come to some arrangement.

cheers Karen

I introduced 2 small Honey Gourami and one striped (Opaline?) Gourami. There are heaps of plants and a big piece of driftwood for cover. The tank is 90cm long by 30cm deep by 45cm high.

I'll keep an eye out over the next few days, hoping the behaviour will change.

But what sort is the original? I was never able to put gouramis and dwarf gouramis together as the big ones always hassled the smaller ones.

The original fish will see the tank as it's territory (probably male). If rearranging the decor hasn't worked, remove him to another tank for a few days if you can then re-introduce him once the new ones have settled.

as said before I have never had the problem, and I have 2 kissing gourami, gold, blue and pearl gouramis, I also have honey and croaking gouramis. The last ones added where the croaking gourami with no problems whatsoever.

as for the "striped" gourami does it have one bold stripe running down both sides as this is actually a snakesskin gourami if however it has lots of stripes then it is an opaline or gold or blue depending on the colour, it goes by several different names.

to tell the sex for this gourami look at the bottom fin next to the tail - if it is rounded it is female if it has a point it is male.

but as Caryl has said if you can remove him or confine him in a container in your tank for a few days then reintroduce him/her when the lights are off, it may work.

The striped one is blue with orange "tiger" stripes.

This morning the blue one seemed to have been accepted, but the Honey ones were still being kept tightly inside the bush on one side of the tank, with the large bully - which is actually female I think - occasionally going in there to chase them out and back in. They didn't look very happy, sitting near the bottom, very quiet.

I fed them this morning and the feeding was peaceful. I fed a lot, so everyone would have enough food. One of the Honey Gourami managed to eat one or two flakes. I put some spirulina tablet in the bush, too, so they can snack in there...

Fingers crossed.

Update: the little Honey Gourami are being kept tightly inside the bushy area on one side of the tank. The moment they come out, they get chased.

I've managed to feed them with some spirulina tablets that I placed in between the plants.

So yeah... ice cream container it is, I guess! Will get some bigger nets over the weekend, if the situation hasn't improved and separate out the big one for a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two weeks later: I've decided to wait. And thing seem to have settled a little. The little Gourami come out to feed, but get stared into the bush every now and then. There's not so much chasing going on anymore. The hierarchy in the tank seems to have been established.