Coconut caves

firefish

This might have been done before but I thought I'd share my idea of how to get a cheap cave.

First to prepare the coconut. It is best to get the biggest one possible (I got mine from New World for $2) Poke the holes to get the juice out. get a saw and saw it in half. If you want a big cave only cut a little bit off, but if it is for small fish cutting it exactly in half could get you 2 caves.

It took me about 2hrs to saw it in half but I'm not very good at sawing... :oops:

Then take the coconut flesh out and boil the shell for about 1 hr. After this they should be good to put in a tank.

If you want it as a lying down actual cave you need to put another cut in it to create an opening. I got sick of sawing so I went outside and (still holding on) I hit it on the concrete - there is a possibility of stuffing it up but it worked for me :)

The best thing about these caves is that they are cheep, interesting to make and look natural.

This is one of the caves with a bronze cory in front of it:

Tank_001sm.jpg

And here it shows the natural look: (bottom right hand corner)

Tank_003sm.jpg

This is another version of the 'Cave' (this one does not need an entrance hole)

Tank_005sm.jpg

There is another picture of the standing up cave in my photobucket, link is in sig.

What a lovely bunch of coconuts

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a neat idea? How long have you had them in the tanks? Will/did anything leech out?

I checked out your other pics on photobucket :bow::bow: See you're a fan of ER as well :P

Caper

Yup i'm a big ER fan.. not sure if I like fish better or not :P

I've had the one in the little tank for about 1 yr (not really sure tho)

The other proper cave I put in about 1 week ago.

Stuff leeches out when boiling but nothing that i've noticed has come out while in the tanks.

Ive been breeding my Bristlenoses in coconut cave for about 2 years

i cut it in half and drilled a 1 inch hole in it. ive had 100's of baby b/n's from it

The other good thing about the coconut shell is the Bristlenoses LOVE to eat the outside layer

here a a couple of pics

8) my new pair on the cave

IMG_2813.jpg

My male in the hole(i think He's guarding eggs at the moment)

IMG_2823.jpg

I've done the coconut cave in the past too.

I found you could crack the coconut straight down the middle if you hit it on the concrete after you've removed the liquid. You sometimes have to bounce (yes some of them will bounce) the coconut quite hard before it will break and it doesn't always work, but its quick if you don't want to saw.

Hmm interesting. I've been looking for a sturdy substructure for a rock cave. I might use coconut for a base cave and build rocks around it to make it look like a rock cave. Would be great to grow plants on top of with all the crack and holes and wood underneath.

Thanks!

Hmm interesting. I've been looking for a sturdy substructure for a rock cave. I might use coconut for a base cave and build rocks around it to make it look like a rock cave. Would be great to grow plants on top of with all the crack and holes and wood underneath.

Thanks!

That sounds cool :D

I still havent found a coconut yet :cry: