What's your favourite coral?

tHEcONCH

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that cyanobacteria I see in the background?

Pretty red slime.

Which is the reason my sun coral died, just couldn't get it to feed, and it was polluting my tank with excess nutrients :)(

I would not go as far as saying my tank is cyano-free, but I think what you are seeing is the copious red coralline algae that is growing on everything ;) that branchy hitch used to be yellow...

I have had this sun coral quite a while, grown & multiplied from pathetic tiny starved polyps. like I said not a great pic...

and yes, that is one of my Seahorses, with cyano :D

nice sun coral!

thanks!

there are two of them

isn't that how this thread started?:)

BTW I'm on the lookout for an emerald green tubeastrea, if anyone has one and can spare a polyp or 2! :bow: ( i think the black might be too difficult for me)

Hey Markoshark, what were you trying to feed your sunny with? It's so worth another try if ya can get a little frag...

Hey DJ, where abouts in northland are you, there is a couple of us up here

rural, about midway between Whangarei and BOI...

thanks!

isn't that how this thread started?:)

BTW I'm on the lookout for an emerald green tubeastrea, if anyone has one and can spare a polyp or 2! :bow: ( i think the black might be too difficult for me)

Hey Markoshark, what were you trying to feed your sunny with? It's so worth another try if ya can get a little frag...

rural, about midway between Whangarei and BOI...

The Emerald Green (Tubastrea Micrantha aka 'Black Sun') is the hardest one - the one that is actually black (Tubastrea Diaphana) is much easier - no more difficult than an Orange (Tubastrea Faulkneri).

The Emerald Green (Tubastrea Micrantha aka 'Black Sun') is the hardest one - the one that is actually black (Tubastrea Diaphana) is much easier - no more difficult than an Orange (Tubastrea Faulkneri).

:hail: Ahh, thank you! I will steer clear of the Micrantha then. (dang I love that colour!)

I had it confused and thought the green was the easier diaphana... I have seen a black that almost has a dark cherry red tinge to it. Is that the Diaphana, or yet another variety?

Awesome photos folks :bow::bow:

have you checked out melevs nano

Did you see the seahorse eating :o

I know nothing about marine/reef tanks only have seen their beauty. What is the difference between live rock and coral??? :oops: :oops:

Caper

:hail: Ahh, thank you! I will steer clear of the Micrantha then. (dang I love that colour!)

I had it confused and thought the green was the easier diaphana... I have seen a black that almost has a dark cherry red tinge to it. Is that the Diaphana, or yet another variety?

It is probably Diaphana if it has a compact branching structure, rather than an encrusting/ball shape.

Awesome photos folks :bow::bow:

Did you see the seahorse eating :o

I know nothing about marine/reef tanks only have seen their beauty. What is the difference between live rock and coral??? :oops: :oops:

Caper

Sounds rather contradictory, but...

Live rock is dead coral skeletons which has been colonised with micro organisms and nitrifying bacteria that filter some of the unwanted stuff out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...