Endler Guppy or just a common Guppy?

Hawkes

Hi everyone :)

I've been a member for a while but have not posted until now!! I have a male guppy that I think is the endler type but not totally sure so thought I'd post a pic and see what you guys think!! He's a little over a month and a half. I often lost him in the tank when he was younger as his 2 black spots constantly change colour to silver and blue/green I guess due to his mood? Any way he's got lots of colouring but the yellow patches don't seem to show up as well in the pics and he's much duller in his pic than in person!!

Here's the pic and I'll look forward to your thoughts :)

Sharon

mr-fish2.jpg

Just a common wild guppy IMO

You see that colouration a lot, and I beleive its considered the 'wild' or dominant strain, since its normally what you get when you cross-breed strains. Hopefully some more experienced guppy breeders can confirm or deny this. It has been a long time since I've had guppies.

Thanks guys :)

He just appeared so to speak LOL I have no idea of where his colours came from as both males I had were snakeskins and one of these guys was def the father as I've had the females and them for about 5 months!! Just recently lost both males as my fighter has become extremely aggressive in the last 2 weeks and killed them as well as 4 of my neons. So they have been separated from him now and all is peaceful again LOL

Back to the odd boy....The only guppies I could find that he resembled closely were endler ones....If he's not one of those than thats fine he's a pretty fish and I'm looking forward to seeing what colours he produces in his babies!! :)

Oh, is there any type of fish thats ok to put with an aggressive Betta? We've got a 4 foot tank with only him in it and 4 bristle noses 2 peppered cats and 3 red spot Pleco (not too big at present but going to have to get rid of a couple before they outgrow the tank.....so any one thats interested please email me sizes close to 20cm, 15cm and 12cm :) )

Babies will be identical to him.

Some of the offspring (maybe the majority) will look like him. But he probably still carries the long fin genes recessively. So his genetics and the mothers will decide what combination of offspring you get.

But I agree he has reverted back to the original 'wild' form. Guppys tend to do this if they aren't continously bred selectively for the traits you want to fix.

The shorter tail is actually an advantage to him, I bet he's a tough little fella and can outswim the fancy ones ;) A big advantage in the wild where the slowest swimmer is someones lunch. The wild males have to strike a balance between being showy enough to attract a female, and being fast enough to avoid being eaten. :-?

Cheers

Ian

He's pretty :P

I think it is so neat the you folks can actually get guppies in the wild :o

Caper

We don't really, except for the very rare occasion, we mean 'wild' from the country they come from! Although people did go through a stage of 'cold-water-guppies', which were just normal guppies strong enough to survive at <20C. Poor buggers :(

good luck with breeding from them, i tried and the males just beat up the females, nipping their fins and eyes etc, very agressive little fellas.

They almost ended up as bird food, but i gave them their own tank

He is pretty feisty LOL But then he's young and full of himself at present being the only Male among 7 Females of his very own!!

Sharon

Some of the offspring (maybe the majority) will look like him. But he probably still carries the long fin genes recessively. So his genetics and the mothers will decide what combination of offspring you get.

But I agree he has reverted back to the original 'wild' form. Guppys tend to do this if they aren't continously bred selectively for the traits you want to fix.

The shorter tail is actually an advantage to him, I bet he's a tough little fella and can outswim the fancy ones ;) A big advantage in the wild where the slowest swimmer is someones lunch. The wild males have to strike a balance between being showy enough to attract a female, and being fast enough to avoid being eaten. :-?

Cheers

Ian

Well it should be very interesting to see what he produces!! The females are already preggers and am not sure if they will be his or one of the other male I had before he was murdered!! But either way it's always exciting to see what colours you get!!

The only thing I really breed to is the size I like the surprise for colouring etc :) But then I'm only a beginner at this tropical fish thing!! We were lucky enough to get our hands on some of my partners Mum's fish and tanks and well we've not looked back and several tanks later we are still collecting LOL

Sharon

We don't really, except for the very rare occasion, we mean 'wild' from the country they come from! Although people did go through a stage of 'cold-water-guppies', which were just normal guppies strong enough to survive at <20C. Poor buggers :(

there are guppies, swordtails and mollies in various geothermal waters in the North Island, as well as mosquitofish of course in many places, and possibly caudos (leopardfish)