Your ideas for an 80L hexagonal tank?

tinytawnykitten

Hi, I am new to fish keeping. We started with a 60L rectangular tank in my son's room and there we have 2 angels, 2 platys, 6 black widow tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis and a bottom feeder type bloke. They have been good and happy for a while now and I have bought a second tank on Trade Me for our room. This is an 80L hexagonal one. (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =121585355) and I had originally thought I would like to start a cichlid tank but having posted on the cichlid thread I have a few replies saying that the tank is too small for cichlids. So I am hoping for some ideas about what I you think I should set up this tank as? I love my community tank and if I can't have cichlids then should I set up another community? How can I make it different from the other one? My favourite fish at the moment are angels (although I am told they are not the height of fish fashion!) and I love the gouramis. I am very open to suggestions! :D

There are some smaller cichlids that would be fine for that size tank, and peacefull enough to have other community fish in there too.

A few Kribensis and an assortment of other fish would be fine. Your angels will be OK in there for a while, until they get too big. Mix in some small loaches or cory catfish and maybe a little bristlenose pleco.

Angels are OK, but they grow big and tend to start nibbling on the smaller fish. So if you can seperate the tougher ones into one tank and leave the smaller tetras and platys in the small tank.

Of course all it really means if you have started down the Multi-tank route :lol:

Cheers

Ian

Just thought I'd raise a question here, but being Hexagonal, I'm guessing that it would be quite tall (deep) rather than long - hence a smaller surface area.

Since most stocking ratios/calculations are done based on surface area it wouldn't be able to take as many fish as say a rectangular 100L tank?

Not sure if you have thought about it but I figured it would be something worth mentioning.

Hope I was of some help :wink:

Double post removed 8) - Caryl

Hopefully the mods can tidy up your double post, you cant delete posts, but you can go back and edit them - just leave an "oops - double post" message :wink:

Yes you are right about the tall tanks and less surface area, but having extra aeration to circulate the water better can help there. I have a tank like TTK's new one, and run a small internal power filter AND an undergravel. Seems to work fine, but it's not overstocked. A reasonable power filter and a couple of airstones will do fine.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian

I thought the surface area rule was more to do with giving the fish space to swim and turn around etc. I guess they will establish a pecking order depending on the level that they swim at?

I'm not sure how I made a double post but the computer was taking a long time so I hit the reload button and I saw two posts! :oops:

Some algae eaters. The shape of these tanks also makes cleaning difficult so, as suggested 2-4 Common brisltenoses or GBAS's. Get small ones as they are still active and not hiding out yet. They'll wizz around and clean the glass and everything - a lot easier than stretching down the top of the tank.

I thought the surface area rule was more to do with giving the fish space to swim and turn around etc. I guess they will establish a pecking order depending on the level that they swim at?

The tall tank does limit the swimming space a bit, so you dont want BIG active fish in that sort of tank. But plenty of swimming space for smaller fish like dwarf gourmai and kribensis. You do want to give some more thought to what levels the fish live at of course. But some dwarf gourmai at the top, a few kribensis in the middle and a couple of bristlenose plecos at the bottom should work out fine.

Cheers

Ian