Breeding Chocolate Gouramis

BigBossPants

I think my chockies have spawned! A couple of days ago two of them were doing a little dance, they would wrap around each other and then one would jiggle a bit. Now one of these two looks as if it is holding babies in its mouth - its throat is puffed out.

Is it the female who will mouthbrood? I originally thought this one was a male, now I'm not so sure.

How long do they hold the babies, and what do I need to do once they come out? Would it be best to put mum in a breeding trap or to leave her loose in the tank?

Tankmates are 2 other chocolate gouramis, a bristlenose and a peppered cory. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

according to my book...

"Fry Care.. the fry hatch in their mothers mouth in about six days but she continues to incubate them for another eight days. During this time she usually distances herself from her tankmates and does not eat. When fry are released they must be fed almost immediately or they will die. offer baby brine shrimp or microworms three times a day using an eye dropper to place them in the tnak near the fry. Keep the light on in the tank so that the fry can find the food. keep the water level to about 6 inches and aerate gently, cover the tank since the fry will spend much of their time at the surface. Water quality is critical, change small amounts daily. After about a month the fry will be large enough to consume most other types of food.

Special notes: this species is extremely difficult to spawn and it is not uncommon for the eggs to suddenly disappear from the mothers mouth, it may be that they were not fertilized and she spit them out or swallowed them. Fry also have a high mortality rate."

good luck with the spawn and fry and keep us posted. :lol:

Righto...

I've set up a seperate tank for mum, she will be moved in a couple of days. It has an undergravel filter and some plants for cover, I'm just waiting for the bacteria to get better established before introducing the fishy.

I'm a little concerned about the brine shrimp, do they absolutely have to eat live food, or is there something else they will accept (like liquid, frozen or baby flakes)? Not sure I have the facilities to hatch them...

I would keep them in a small tank with low water leval so the fry are surrounded by food. I usually feed heavily and remove excess every couple of days (a few red or brown rams horn snails makes that easier). No air stone or filter and a tight lid to keep the atmosphere moist and warm (anabantoids need that). I would also feed green water for a couple of weeks as well as brine shrimp and microworm. A good time to become friendly with a nurse who can get you an ex saline drip system as these are ideal for feeding green water while you are at work. Brine shrimp and microwom will stay alive for quite a few hours. Feed before and after work and before bed. I had best luck with anabantoids by using a small pilot light at night so they feed at night as well. Remove mum as soon as she releases.