substrate/filtration for a mini planted tank

varven

Ive got a 600x300x300 tank sitting around that Ive decided I want to convert to a 'mini planted tank'.

What are youre reccommended substrate beds ?

Im thinking along the lines off 1cm depth sand followed by gravel >?

Similarly I dont want too strong filtration or something that would oxygenate the water too much as I want it to retain co2 for the plants.

Is the smallest model available internal cannister ( more like powerhead attached to a sponge filter ) a viable option ?

cheers,

V.V.

Some of the best planted tanks i have seen had NO filtration at all.

I personally use a gravel from the shores of Lake Rotoma, Rotorua.

( no fore-shore consent for me either).

I boil the gravel first after it has been hose washed in a bucket.

It is a mixtute of obsidium, pomice, and volcanic black and white scoria.

From sand size to 10mm chunks. I also sometimes put it thru a sieve to take out the biggest or smallest grade, depends what I'm after.

Alan

I would use lots of plants, few fish, no filter. Can't comment on substrates as I have only ever used gravel.

If you want filtration there are some very compact internal units available out there. Most have adjustable flow too, or perhaps you could use a sponge filter.

How about something like a small powerhead? Most of them have a small sponge which should do for mechanical filtration and give you a bit of current. You shouldn't need much as far as biological filtration, in fact, I think you might do a little better without it because the plants eat ammonia and would have to compete with your filter for it if you had one. Something like a fluval 1 or 2 would also be good, like you said, it's basically just a powerhead with a filter.:)

Im going to go with a no filtration/ barely any fish setup... if it doesnt seem good ill add a wee lil powerhead with a prefilter or whatever.. so not really filtration.

I was thinking abt a C02 setup but rejected the tank/home brewed versions because of cost and secondly even if theres a tiny lil 'bang' from a home made unit I get the tank booted out of home :lol: .

Besides Ive seen crap go wrong with dive tanks and I dont like anything near high pressure around the home.

Any reccommended fertilizers.. I was going to go for the generic 'fetilizer tablets' u stick under the plants but wondering if theres something I can more freely mix into the substrate .

cheers,

V.V.

ps: in terms of fish I was really keen to have an algae gobbling Chinese algea eater but not sure if he will like a tank with no fast flowing water ?

I think you should start off with the small powerhead. You're still going to need a bit of circulation for the plants. And, imo, planted tanks look nicer with the plants gently waving as opposed to basically just sitting stagnant looking.