this is a reef shop

reef

• 1 year later...
We live so close to Fiji and other island with abundance of life and yet what I have seen at HFF and Jansens is no where near as good as what you can get from overseas

Give me a example why you think that. We buy from the same supplies .

Hi Reef,

Majority of the fish are just ok, and the corals I have seen at HFF on North Shore and from Jansens Mt. Eden isn't very impressive.

Maybe I went in at the wrong times. I have not been to HFF in Mt. Roskill, but I do hear they have a much better selection.

Are you saying you're a supplier Jetskisteve?

By the way, I have received my electronic Salinity tester, so I'll arrange a time with you to come over and put it to the test, if that's ok. PM me with some times. I'm free Sunday and Monday from late afternoon or one evening this week. :)

AT the end of the day it is the shops decision to buy and hold stock.

If they cant sell stock what is the point of holding it as they cant get a good return on their investment.

What corals are you looking for and what is impressive.?

I Have seen some very nice corals at Hollywood and Jansens but they just sit there.

both the hollywoods have dissapointed every time i visit so i dont anymore

Why is that.? Hollywood Albany always has a great selection. You just have to be quick as stock does move fast.

If you specifically want something, talk to the LFS, whoever it may be...

If it's available, chances are what you want is in quarantine, and they will hold it when it turns up.

Browsing will always get you the runt end of the order, because it's what isn't snapped up, and NZ isn't a big enough market to hold stock for the sake of it.

the shops get the list from the importer before the stock comes out of quarantine??? so i can order clown fish and yellow tangs?

im not comlaining about availability im just saying that jansens always seem to have a better selection than hollywoods (i only really stop by on the off chance there might be something i want to buy while on the way to do other things)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking for anything in particular as I'm still getting all the kit to setup a tank, but when I see all the pictures of amazing coloured corals from the US sites, and what I see at the LFS, it just looks disappointing, but it is a good point to ask the LFS what will be coming in and what they can get for me.

When I'm ready, I'll keep that in mind.

some times the corals in the shops arent all that clourfull due to their situation.

i have brought corals a few time that looked "Ok" in the shops but when i got them home looled quite impressive (lighting,flow, water quality).

and ive gotten some corals that looked amazing in someone elses tank that dont look all that hot in mine. (lighting flow and water quality)

some times the corals in the shops arent all that clourfull due to their situation.

i have brought corals a few time that looked "Ok" in the shops but when i got them home looled quite impressive (lighting,flow, water quality

I would agree with that.