question about my oscars butt

shadowfax

Id 99% say thats its Cammalanus. An intestinal worm which needs to be treated with Levamisole. Go to your local vet and ask if they have any Aviverm, as it is levamisole mainly.

If its the 22% levamisole one then use 1ml per 24Ls (IIRC) You first need to do a 90% water change, making sure that you gravel syphon hard out, and get as much of the crap out from the bottom, as that is where the baby worms live. Then fill the tank up and treat withe the correct amount. better to overdose than underdose. Levamisole will not harm your fish but it will give them the runs... no big deal. Leave them for 48 hours (you can stop after 24 hours if the fish dont react very well to the meds) and after that time do another 90% water change, once again making sure to vacuum the substrate very well. Repeat the treatment 2 weeks later. This should get rid of them. Do not try to pull them out of the fish, and do not think it will go away by itself.

I got all my info from Sharn, as she wrote an article in the aquarium world a little way back. Good luck!

been into the vets & they dont have any & said it comes in a really big amount & they would have to order it, they also wouldn't give it out unless i took the fish in :roll: while i was there i asked about the droncit & adtape, but they didnt know anything about it or the prazi. been into the lsf where i got the oscar from ( i had 2 but flushed the other one yesterday because it had white spot again & hadn't grown since i got it about 3 weeks ago & was looking stuffed, now i know why) & i could see the same red stuff out the bums of the ones they had left. had a chat & another guy is going to call me back hopfully tomorrow. what i want to know is, should i flush this 1 too because i have my royal pleco & hoplo cat in the same tank & i am worried that its going spread to them & do a big gravel vac & cross my fingers?

Sorry to hear about your fish, i can probably source some levamisole for you. How many mls would you need? I think we have some droncit around too if it helps. i have seen some in a drawer somewhere, but it was a while ago so no promises on that one. :) The trouble with the vets is not many, if any, know about fish. There are all sorts of rules they have to (or should) abide by when dispensing small amounts of products too. Let me know anyway.

Our local vet has said he knows nothing about treating fish, but if I do my own research and print out any official looking web page and go in discuss it with him he will happily sell me drugs to treat my fish, obviously this is on a case by case and as long as its for me and nothing too nasty..

Even if they have never heard of or know of a drug surely they can type it into their computer system and order it in for you?

the 1 i flushed was stuffed, it was laying on its side rolling onto its head & it was clearly the best option for it, the 2nd, if i thought flushing 1 fish could save other fish then yes i would do it, so far ive had no luck getting my hands on any treatment for them & if it came to it & there is nothing else to do then i'll flush away. what f's me off is the fact that the nite before i decide to chuck him in with my other fish that needed the formalin as i thought id do him as well because he came out in white spot too & now ive infected that tank, the only good thats come of doing that is i only spoted the red things in its butt after putting it into the tank with better lighting. im nearly at the point of giving up & selling everything, whats the point of having fish if you cant get your hands on stuff you need for them.

Please NEVER EVER flush a sick or dead animal down the toilet. You are releasing disease into the waterways. Kill it (plastic bag and a whack on the concrete) then put it in the rubbish (freeze it if rubbish day is a few days away) or preferably burn it.

caryl i live in the country so it only goes into the septic tank, as for flushing animals i dont think my cat would fit. but i do see your point. i have found some aviverm, its a bird wormer so i'll have a go with that tonite, thanks to those that have offered help & advice :hail:

Please NEVER EVER flush a sick or dead animal down the toilet. You are releasing disease into the waterways. Kill it (plastic bag and a whack on the concrete) then put it in the rubbish (freeze it if rubbish day is a few days away) or preferably burn it.

WOW REALLY?? I never knew it would have any affect :oops: