Dying WCMM...

Kelsta

Hey Everyone, Just thought I'd tell you this and see if anyone comes up with anything.

Last night, one of our WCMM was looking very poorly last night, and seemed to be just floating in the current, and not swimming. He went all pale and lost the red colour in his tail etc. Just looked very sick indeed. Then one of our goldfish gobbled him up and then spat him out! Our goldfish can't normally catch them, but he was unable to swim away.

So hubby and I did an emergency evac into the hospital tank. He's still alive this morining but not looking like he'll be alive when we get home after work.

All the other fish look fine so far.

Do fish sometimes just die without you ever finding out why? Seems a bit of a mystery that he's the only one with a probelm?

Thanks guys, we're still a bit new to this :)

OOPS, forgot the details:

140 litre tank

4 medium goldfish

9 WCMM

4 Borneo suckers

Last time we did a 25% water change was on Sunday...

A saying from the days when I was farming.

"If you have livestock.. you are going to have deadstock"

Sometimes they die for unknown reasons inspite of our best efforts. Sometime they die of old age. Check your tank conditions and the other fish to make sure its not something wrong there, otherwise not much you can do :(

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian and Alanmin, I guess it's just one of those things. I will keep an eye on the tank in case anyone else starts looking ill.

One thing I was wondering... When you buy fish like minnow and suckers from the pet store, are they generally quite young? I assumed they were all babies when we adopted them a few weeks ago, but now I'm not sure?

When you buy fish like minnow and suckers from the pet store, are they generally quite young?

Most likely they are young fish, if the fish are only part grown. compared to their adult size, then it's safe to assume they are young. If it's an adult sized fish.. who knows?

Also if it's a new fish it could have been injured during it's many moves before you got it, but has only just succumbed to it's injuries. I lost a new little Bala shark a few months back, it never setted into the tank or started eating. No obvious cause, but it's mate and other tankmates are still happy and healthy. Just one of those things. :-?

Some fish live for decades, goldfish and large plecos can live for 20+ years, but others like guppys and WCMM will only live a couple of years.

Cheers

Ian