New Tank questions

kiwiplymouth

Hi Guys, I have just purchased my first tank and as i am not someone who does things by halves i have ended up with a tank that is of tubular design and is 700mm in diameter and approx 700mm high and approx 270 litres (i Think).

As I live in the country my water supply is from rainwater that is stored in concrete tanks. Is there anything that i should be aware of when using this water to initially fill the tank and when i do partial changes of the water? I would also like to know the recommended number of smallish fish that i should first introduce into the tank when i start cycling it and what would be a safe stocking rate for a tank of this size?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome. A tank that size is a good one to start with. What sort of filtration do you have for it? I am sure we can find someone to start cycling it for you (AMAZONIAN has a number of tanks he could hang it on I am sure if you asked nicely) without stressing out fish.

Rainwater tend to be acidic (have you tested the pH?) and (I think) has no buffering so don't try to keep African cichlids :P

Is the concrete coated with something on the inside? Concrete alters the pH too. I suggest you do a pH test. This will help you decide what fish would be best for your tank.

Hey there kiwiplymouth....

My water is also stored in a concrete tank (and old one granted so probably well and truly leached out of anything that was going to leach!)

I'm on bore water though not rainwater. My pH sits fairly neutral (about 7.2 I think). I think the concrete might help raise the pH if the rainwater was acidic but the best thing to do is get it tested to know where you stand. I don't do anything special.

I think rainwater tends to lack buffering capability which means the pH might be less stable under certain conditions. The concrete might help this? Someone else can probably elaborate but I'm prety sure this is something I think you can test for (hardness test I think)? I've never tested the hardness here since I don't keep anything that has specific requirements and chc tap water is basically bore water anyway :)

I think if you use the search from the menu at the top and look for 'rainwater' you'll probably come up with all sorts of good information :)

I spent weeks going through search results for various things when I started up my first tank (only January this year!!) and found it extremely helpful.

Have fun :) Good on you getting all the info first.. saves a lot of frustration and worry later on!

The tank has not yet arrived as i am still negotiating with couriers to get it down here from Auckland. I cant tell you as yet what pumps, filters etc it has but it will be what aquarium fx in Auckland normally use. My water tanks are not coated with anything so i expect that the pH will need some attention. I did read somewhere that rainwater requires less ageing than tap water. Is this correct. I'm trying to get all the info that i can before the tank arrives. Cheers