gold nugget plecos

stimpy29

bout 10 - 15 bucks down this way

i baught mine at 2 inches one is now about 4 inches and the other is about 3.5

i also have 3 red whiptales and i baught them at 1.5 inch now about 3.5 to 4 inchthey grew alot faster i got them like a month after the gold spot

but in saying all this im not convinced that my goldies are infact goldies i think their galaxy pleccos(dont know code numbers)

hth cheers chris

But yours definitely aren't

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/ze ... gget2.html

Id say yours are just the red or gold spot pleco's I think its very hard to identify anything without a L number for pleco's or Sc. name.. I have gone a google image search for both and get random pleco's so yeah I dont know get a pic and flick it up :)

For the smaller plecs look:

The smaller panaques like L104,(Clown), and L204( Flash)- they were calling them panagolus for a while. they're smaller than the Royals, Papas and get to 10-12cms. You can get clowns for under $50.00.

Pitbull plecs only get to about 6cms-Parotocinclus spp.

Hypanancistrus species like Queen Arabesque or King Tigers,and

L333 that are availble here get to about 12cm. The zebras and some other hypanancistrus only get to 8cms.

Hemiancistrus species like blue and Green phantoms get 15- 18cm.

Spotted orange seam which I've recently seen around gets to that.

Unfortunately we don't get peckoltia species often if at all. There are quite a few really lovely fish in this species quite common in tanks overseas and only get to 7-12cm. there are a few exception like L075, para plec who get big (25cm) for that species.

Baryancistrus species like magnum and Gold nugget as you Know get bigger up to 35cm as do the Scobiancistrus- Goldie pleco etc.

The problem with some of these guys is the common naming. There are 3(?) differnt L numbered Gold Nuggets -all Baryancistrus species but one will get to 15cm and one will get to 30+cm. Depends how well labelled the fish is.

I haven't seen or Heard of any Vampire Plecs around but I hope there are a few. The mouth is very unique so should be an easy ID.

It's a snail eater and uses two long almost fang like teeth at the front of mouth to extract snails from shells.

My experience with my fancy plecs is they seem to get to 70-80% of size in first 3-4 yrs then take forever to get the last 20%-30%. This is by no means scientific but from what I've read not a bad rule of thumb.