Breeding Pearl Gouramis

Ira

Just an update, still got heaps. Fed them their first meal of brine shrimp today. They now look like a little gold ring followed by an irridecent blue dot with a big orange blob underneath.:) So, at a little over a week old they're big enough to eat brine shrimp.

How long will the BBS survive in freshwater? I kinda expected they'd be dead in a couple hours but it's been almost 3 and they all seem still alive and well.

AsCaryl says, plus the fact that these fish breathe from the surface, which they do constantly on and off.. all day.. all night, so having the water deep would cause great efforts for the young fry to keep swimming to the surface.

Mine seemed to always be at the surface from day 1. The only time I've seen them lower is when I pull the blanket off to have a look in the tank, but I think that's because their startle response is to dive. It's only recently that a handful have started going deeper.

They're starting to look like fish now.:)

I had a dream about my fry last night...They'd all turned into guppies, pissed me off...hahaha.:)

:) It's only the male that keeps them attached to the nest, and as far as I know, they have no "homing" instinct.

Like any child, they tend to wander off, and as the days pass they will become more adventurous and the water level can be increased gradually each day if needed.

As above, once they are free swimming there is no need for the male to be in there.. :)

Some of my last batch are now about 48mm long and just look like "Mini Leeri's" :)

• 4 weeks later...

The count is up to 125 fry. Just counting them as I move them to new tanks. I moved 25 to a small planted tank in the bathroom. This one....

bathroomtank.jpg

And they exploded! In a week they've grown to about twice the length of the rest of the fry. They're up around an 3/4-1" I think now. So that made me decide to hurry up and set up one of the other tanks in my sleepout, a 200ish liter corner tank with some plants and I've put another 100 fry into that tank. Seems maybe they were too crowded in the original tank. All the water parameters were fine so I'm guessing they were growing slower due to more competition for food? Anyway, it looks like there are at least as many left in the original tank as I moved to the new one. So I think there are at least another 100 uncounted.