ammo remover works? anyone has used them before?

henward

Interesting ?

I would guess they are 'bioball' type of thing. You add them to a sump or canister filter and they create more surface area for Ammonia -Nitrate cycle bacteria to live.

But then so will a nylon pot scourer, ceramic beads or a sponge.

Cheers

Ian

AMMOFREE (TECHNO CARBON) Absorbs Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (1.5mg/g), Suitable for Fresh and Salt Water, Suitable for Tanks and Ponds, Does not absorb medication, Does not re-release ammonia after absorption. Recommended to be place close to filter, Improves the COLOURS in fish as stress is reduced (pollution in water),treats 100 litres of water and last 2-3 months, Does not need rinsing before introduction, will not cloud the water, All natural (natural carbonised material NH-X) Balls are not refillable, Absorption of Ammonia most effective after 24 hours

From http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/gbp ... AMF100.htm

which is also on http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/cata ... 87&catID=9

Hope it helps

These have been on sale over here for a few years.

As above comments, no need for them if you look after your tank properly.

They are just a form of carbon. Therefore, you have to estimate...

or the carbon gets to overload point & releases it all back in at once

Like so many other products, what they say the live span is will vary greatly. Who knows, their trial could of been done on a 2 foot tank with 5 neons.

Consider that the so called normal carbon is only good for 3-4 weeks.

Frenchy :D

I am a little confused :-? :-? , now that's a shock :lol: :lol:

It appears that the overall opion on carbon...is NOT to use it. But I don't understand, I thought it was a form of chemical filtration (might be using wrong term here) that was needed in tanks????

So, I'm wondering if I should stop using it.

Caper

It's a form of chemical filtration for your bank account. It's only any good when you want to remove tannins from the water if you have some driftwood turning it brown.

IMO, that's not important, it makes the tank look better.

Or some say when you want to remove medication from the tank. But imo you might as well leave the medication in.

That's it...that's all it does :o

Okay then, one of my filters uses Whisper filter cartidge, you just pour the carbon into a white, oh shoot....oh my can't think what you call it :evil: , anyway easy to stop just don't put it in. But the other 2 filters have the carbon on the back of the blue filter (sorta like the same unnamed material as the other one). So, I guess I could just break the plastic & shake it out. Sound right???

Caper

It is quite simple realy. If you remove the ammonia there is nothing to feed the bacteria that cycle the tank so they all die. The tank is therefore not cycled and when you remove the stuff or it becomes used up you have an uncycled tank full of fish. This is the same as filling up a tank with water and adding heaps of fish the next day.

I am a little confused :-? :-? , now that's a shock :lol: :lol:

It appears that the overall opion on carbon...is NOT to use it. But I don't understand, I thought it was a form of chemical filtration (might be using wrong term here) that was needed in tanks????

So, I'm wondering if I should stop using it.

Caper

carbon absorbs things in the water. its great for removing meds & other things that you want in the water temporarly. It also absorbs fertilisers & other things you want to stay in the tank. when it cannot absorb any more it releases it all at once which generally is not a good thing IMO.

alan

It is quite simple realy. If you remove the ammonia there is nothing to feed the bacteria that cycle the tank so they all die. The tank is therefore not cycled and when you remove the stuff or it becomes used up you have an uncycled tank full of fish. This is the same as filling up a tank with water and adding heaps of fish the next day.

Ah...I'm only asking about the carbon :P

Caper