Macro Algae for Refugium

dororke

Hi all,

I'm in the process of completing a set-up for a 900l reef system. I've just started cycling. I'm looking for some macro algae to harvest in my refugium but am having difficulty sourcing any. Particularly I would like to use Chaetomorpha. Does any reef keeper out there have, or know of how to get hold of, a fist full?

Unfortunately the chaetomorpha species used for refugiums is not available in NZ. But Hollywood Fish Farm have several Caulerpa species that can do a similar job, admittedly not quite as well as Chaetomorpha but it is the only option.

Steer away from the red Caulerpa, nothing wrong with it but it's a slow grower hence not such good nutrient uptake.

Thanks - you're confirming what I'm finding. Had a look at the stuff growing in HFF but couldn't identify exactly what type of Caulerpa it was. The staff weren't able to help either. When I've exhausted all avenues I might just take a hit and get a clump from there - it's just that I feel uncomfortable about putting things in my tank when I don't know what it is.

I've read some pieces on line about how Chaetomorpha grows freely in intertidal pools on the shores around certain parts of NZ, and I perhaps thought that someone might have started culturing some; but that's looking unlikely now methinks. I even took a trip out to Boulder Bay recently to see for myself but access prevented me from getting anywhere near the location. It was a fun day out for the kids though - lol.

The NZ chaetomorpha is a different variety, however it would be interesting to try. Like yourself I tried to collect some once but couldn't get any.

The other caulerpa species at HFF are all OK for a refugium, just the sexual thing but you have to manage that. The "saw tooth" looking one is OK but slowish growing, although a lot better than the red one. The other species are even faster growing. The toxin thing is not such an issue if you just keep one species, so they are not waging chemical warfare with each other.

Hi wasp,

The "saw tooth" looking one - if memory serves this is what's growing under the large show tank at HFF right? So if I wanted a faster growing one I should pick something green from the smaller display immediately as you enter the store.

I'd only plan to have one specieis growing, so all I'd need to be aware of is the "sexual thing" as you put it. :D To control that I'd just keep the refugium lighting on 24/7 right?

I haven't looked at their refugium for a long time so not sure what species they have and where. One option would be to get a 5 dollar bunch of several types, place in your refugium, then eventually remove all but the best performer in your set up.

The sexual thing, yes 24/7 lighting will solve it, like some people they don't often do it with the lights on! :wink:

Although a stress event such as overheating can cause it even with 24/7 lighting, but in any case it will be rare, if ever, with 24/7 lighting, plus it's good for the pH.

Hi Drifty - I don't suppose you were able to identify exactly what the "round leaf stuff" was, and can you remember which display tank it came out of?

I can only really get there to HFF at the weekends and Dave doesn't do weekends anymore so I have to rely on staff who aren't sure what it is.

Also you say "old tank" so what do you use in your new tank?

I am struggling to find the name of the stuff I had. I got it from hff from their old display. I will try and find the name for you. I tried some of the stuff they have in their current tank and it was fine. They have had it there for 6+ months with no problems yet.

In my new tank I will get some more from HFF and use that. I moved 4 months ago and broke the tank down so all the old algae is gone

I believe C. taxifola is now banned in N.Z. I had C. mexicana in my tank but it was taking over so I ripped it all out. i am about to build a refugium with an attached Calvo bucket, so am interested in this thread to find good Caulerpa species etc to use in the Fuge...

• 16 years later...