Killie questions....

aquab

My daughters have decided that they want a fish tank in their room. Just like Mum's through out the house!!! :oops:

My questions are...

1 Is there a website with Killie info?

2 How easy to care for and breed?

3 Is the trader in Tauranga on TM reputable? Good stock and prices?

Cheers

B :lol:

Killies are very easy to care for and breed. Only need basic requirements like food and clean water and can be kept at low temperatures(around 22 degrees)

And yes the trademe kilifish guy is very reputable, would recomend him to anyone and is very knowledgable on all aspects of killies. Has the best stock of killies i have seen, and excellent prices.

there is one thing to be wary of...... not neccecarily a bad thing though

If you visit his fish room, dont spend too long looking. You will fall in love with the killies and not be able to stop thinking about them and already have big plans for building your own fish room or at least getting a few more tanks. There is always just one more specie of killie that you "must" have.

and maybe your daughters could look at joining the killi club?

They are in the main easy to breed and to be honest, your daughters will have a really great time in raising some fry

Tims a good guy, hes on here as Aquanut

My daughters are 5 and 6 is there an age requirement to join the Killie club ??!!!! :lol:

Might have to get in touch, they won't stop bugging me until they get their own tank!!!

Tim is a dodgey fella... buy 10 fish and you get more than 10 :o

ask him for a little advice and he swamps you with an encyclopedia of information :-?

want special Killies then he would make you join the NZKA and get free monthly newsletters with terrific information and who's doing what :x

In my opinion... :hail::bow:

If there was one person to get people addicted to killies, Tim would be the one. And he is definatly not out for a quick buck, i had a problem with some killies i bought off him which died, it was my own fault but they were replaced free of charge with a few more thrown in aswell, not very often that happens these days.

I started off with one tank. With the intention to buy one or 2 species i walked away from tims with about 5 the first time. Then i had to buy more tanks and equipment. Then next time i went i got more species, I have 5 tanks now with 10 more on order.

Be careful killies can be addictive, however that is not nessecarily a bad thing. I would say it is a great thing to be hooked on.

Another thing Aquab is that its great for teaching kids to be responsible and yet a bit forgiving when they dont.

The mop spawners are very easy and dont have too many problems. They will take a lot of veriation in water conditions and a a hardy type of fish.

Peat spawner (Im finding) a bit harder with conditions and have a few more diseases (velvet)

Have a look at the Striatum for ease of breeding as well as Blue Gardneri.

If your girls will want to try breeding, look at makeing some mops now and give them a good soaking as that too has been a hard thing in getting wool

(you need acyrilic, not wool) that wont leach out colour. The colour wont harm the fish but makes seeing the fish a lot harder and dayly water changes become twice a day.

Wow.... :o

i change my water once a week... if they are lucky

feed once a day with flake and on special occassions (when i can be bothered) whiteworms as well.

Pick eggs, whenever... still get good supply of fish and the fish DON"T JUMP :lol: