STRANGE PLECO

hevalump

Hmm, arent plecos suppose to be plant eaters..... im sure my pleco has been eating the blood worms in put in my tank for the eel and other fish..... as soon as the blob of worm sunk to the bottom he got excited and swum fast (the fastest ive ever seen him swim) over and stuck himself onto the spot where they were while franctically sucking away. Also a earth worm escaped from my eels hidey hole and tried to make a get away and my pleco landed on him and when he moved the worm was gone! Is this normal behaviour ? I usually give him a piece of zuchinni every second day or so.... so i would not think he would be starving :-?

My Pleco's hang upside down under the worm feeders and refuse to let any other dfish near it until they have had their fill.. which is usually when the feeder is empty :)

Buy.. (or make) one of the stick on the glass worm feeders and watch the pleco's go for it... lotsa fun, and even the corys go mad to get the worms in there.

There are two spotted 'Sailfin' plecos that people often confuse..... G. gibbiceps and G. joselimaianus, and neither is related to the common 'pleco'.

If one stands back and looks at the two species side by side one is the 'mirror image' or 'negative' of the other.

Gibbies have a light body colour or back ground with dark spots, while joselimaianus has a dark back graound or body colour with light "Gold" spots.

Easy when you know the diff. but it is amazing the number of people who don't see it.,

Alan

Amazing, I didn't see it. The above mentioned Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps isn't my pleco at all but the 'negative' image of one :oops:

First time I saw a pic of the above in my fish book I thought that's the one I've got. Well no, it isn't you idiot!

Kindly disregard my previous post!

i think we paid under $20 for him so hed most likely be just a joe average common pleco.... funny think about plecos, sometimes he looks like he is frowning at me. Heh heh heh. Our pleco is having a love affair with our eel, he insists on squeezing into the half of the sunken ship eddie is in when the other half is empty!! The eel doesnt mind, i think the pleco is a bit of a bully however as he follows the eel closely then whooshes past and whacks the eel in the head. Hmmm.