Newt Question

Smurfwitch

I just got my first newt, & I cant wait to fix his home up & get him in there. Right now I have him in a temporary tank. I have read everything from the other threads & its all amazingly helpful to me. My question is, can I put driftwood in the tank? It came from the beach & was no doubt in the water at some stage. Im just thinking because it came from the salt water is it safe? I also have frogs (but they wont be in the same tank) & I always thought that dirt wasnt safe for them. I have learnt from the other threads that you can make a land area with dirt & potting mix, & thats what I'll be doing for my new freind, Noobie. Thankyou for all the info.

I would stay away from the imported ones as they are very difficult to get rid of if your house gets infected. I understand there are many native ones which may not be as likely to infect your house. Someone with more knowledge might help.

indeed, those damn pesky imported newts infesting my house. Lol. Wrong thread perchance?