ornate bichirs

Silvia-15

i just got my hands on 2 small ornates, from HWF... damn they sure are expensive for something so midget... for now anyways :P

well, can anyone tell me how fast they grow? i have a section of my 300L tank separated for these 2 5cm bichirs... otherwise theyll get molested by the oscar and the big senegalus. so unless they can get to a decent size quickly, i may have to invest in ANOTHER tank...

thanks for any help

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... .php?f=108

Have a read of the Polypterus Introduction and Primer there, loads of useful info.

Depending on the dimensions, the 300L tank will be OK for a few years. Their growth can vary, one person on MFK had one that went from 3" to 11" in six months!! Plan for about 10-12" in the first year, a slower after that. IMO keeping them in smaller tanks is going to lead to them feeling more confined and will increase the chance of them trying to get out.

Another thing to consider is that you may be better of with more [or less]. Two is often a bad number for big fish (think dats, arowanas etc) as one becomes dominant and the other gets picked on.

Definitley need other stuff too, not to mention bloodworms will be expensive [and messy!] when it gets big. Mine get discus tucker, chopped beef heart, prawn, hikari carnivore pellets and shrimp pellets. Get them used to a varied diet when they're young, and don't let them get fussy!

• 1 month later...

i got 2 of mine at hff albany $130 but after nagging the dude there, i got it for 100, i got the other one at origins browns bay for 90 dollar-ish, and i was in hff mt roskill last week, they are doing a special and it was only 80 something dollars!!!!!

• 3 months later...

:bounce: Its done :bounce:

I went back to work and read the forums etc and that was the end for me.

I now have a 3-4" ornate birchir living in my 3' community tank until he grows enough to tough it out in my cichlid tank

and at $80 it looks like I wasnt ripped off too much

he just had his first feed of earth worm and seems happy as a dinosaur can be

and at $80 it looks like I wasnt ripped off too much

Definitely not, I paid $130 each for the first three small ones HFF got in about 5-6 months ago. They're great fish, just keep an eye on the smaller fish in your community, young ornates grow pretty fast and have big mouths and even bigger stomachs....

:P