Best ways to incubate eggs?

paul_r

Hey guys ive just got another question

Which method generally has better hatching rates once killie eggs have been picked?

1) Putting eggs in a small container with water and keeping at correct temperature until eggs hatch.

Or

2) Collecting eggs, placing on damp peat, then storing at correct temperature for x ammount of days then placing in water for hatching?

Just curious as i seem to have almost no luck hatching my eggs as i pick them and store in small containers with water and a small ammount of meth blue, i take out fungused eggs every day yet still have only had 3 hatch, and they have all died.

Thanks

to begin with, put them in a container with a lid and float them on the parents tank.

The other method is far better in the long run but the simple method of floating works untill you have got use to keeping killis...

my thoughts only

I presume you must be talking about non-annuals... I think the reason people pick the eggs and put them on peat for a period of time is so that once they hatch them, they will all hatch at the same time, whereas if you are just picking daily you will start to get one or five killies hatching each day, which can be a bit of a hassle as you may end up with heaps of different batches and the bigger ones will eat the smallers ones, so then you need to separate them etc. Putting them on peat just postpones their hatching, and once you see they have eyed up, as soon as you put them in water they will pretty much hatch straight away, so as i said, picking for a month and ending up with the large amount of eggs on peat, then hatching them all at once is more efficient and probably easier....

My theory :D