Anywhere in Auckland sells Siamese algae eaters?

michael.qian

Rang both Hollywood stores and they only have the look-alikes but not the real thing.

Tried calling Jansens but no one is answering.

I'm looking for some that'll eat the hair algae (like dust on my leaves and thin hairs), that's infesting my tank.

Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks a lot

other then the 2 you have tried, try origin aquatics. thats the last place i tried for em. i managed to come across 2 real SAEs that were advertised as flying foxes. way to tell is:

1. a true SAE has only 1 set of barbels coming from their mouth unlike the flying fox which has 2 sets.

2. a jagged black line down their side to the tip of their tail unlike a False SAE which stops at the beginning of the tail, and the flying fox which is straight and broad and has a gold stripe above it.

3. all of a true SAEs fins are clear.

I ended up with 2 SAEs and 2 False SAEs :-?

wish i had of known all of the above info when i went hunting for them.

Its also better to go and look for them yourself as they tend to get mixed up because they are so alike.

Hmm

I just checked out my flying fox, looking for the points brought up above.

He/She has only one set of barbels, the black line runs through the tail and clear fins .. should I assume he/she is not a flying fox after all ?

Tania.

I found the fish sold as a 'Saimese Flying Fox' in NZ were always Saimese Algae Eaters. Not sure if this has changed in the last 6 months or so.

IMO SAEs are the best of the three. Genuine Flying Fox has a nicer look but can be more aggressive to its own kind, and false siamesis is just a waste of time.

I know you haven't made this mistake, but a lot of beginners read these threads, so I must say 'do not get confused with the chinese algae eater'. I hate those things.

When I rang Hollywood Mt. Roskill yesterday I got this lady who seems to have no idea what she's talking about, not that friendly either.

Me "Hi do you have any siamese algae eaters?"

Lady "We got these gold ones and black and brown ones."

Me (a little confused) "Are they the real ones or the look-alikes like the flying fox?"

Lady "Ummm they just the ones that are golden ones or brown-black ones with the sucker mouth on the bottom"

Me "Ok thanks a lot"

Lady just hangs up.

Does she even know what a siamese algae eater is? What she described sounded a lot like a chinese algae eater.

I had a problem with hair algae recently and got 2 SAE (90% sure) from Hollywood, although they were sold to me as Siamese flying fox

I found the fish sold as a 'Saimese Flying Fox' in NZ were always Saimese Algae Eaters. Not sure if this has changed in the last 6 months or so.

Anyway I also got a phospad to put in the filter at the same time and continued to grab any excess hair algae that was floating about every couple of days. All the hair algae was gone within a week or so. SAEs will only eat the newly grown hair algae...not the long old stuff.

Went to Hollywood myself just now and managed to pick up 2 siamese algae eaters.

They were sold as "Siamese flying fox".

But they looked like genuine siamese algae eaters, with the black line through the tail and clear fins, no gold line above the black line.

I told the guy they look like real siamese algae eaters and told him the difference between those and the flying fox, he goes "oh ok is that the difference". They should learn about their fish better lol.

Right now sitting the the bag in my tank, will release them in a while.

I picked up two of them at the Albany Hollywood fish farm just three days ago. They had the single pair of barbels, the black line that extends all the way to the tail, and see through fins. Pretty much confirmed "SAE" although hollywood has some sort of wierd label on their tank that confuses the issue somewhat.